Chapter 12. - Big changes

Word Count: 4613

We were pouncing around that separatist hold for a week straight already, when the scouts saw three heavily armed hovercrafts enter the facility. It wasn't reinforcements, they were sure.

"What are you thinking, general?" There wasn't much time for talking with Blitz or any of his soldiers meanwhile. Master Plo needed all my help with negotiations with the local resistance and the commander had a legion to take care of. I hardly found a time to eat once a day.

The nightmares didn't help either. I was now waking up every night and I had to muffle the cries into a pillow so I wouldn't wake up anyone else. I would have to deal with my past eventually, I knew that. But the thought of going through my memories and remembering every piece of what happened scared me. Was I really a good person like everyone thought? After what I saw, I wasn't so sure anymore.

"Those are slave ships, aren't they?" I looked at Wolffe who asked the first question. He nodded. We were standing at the holotable, looking at the footage of the hold.

"They are probably bringing in locals to serve as hostages," he said, frowning, "Or living targets."

"We need to get them out somehow," I nodded when a comlink on Blitz's wrist beeped.

'Sir, there are three more ships coming slowly towards the post,' the trooper on the watch was reporting.

"Copy that," Blitz turned off the commlink and turned to us, "So what do we do?"

"Okay, this is our opportunity," I said and pointed at the hovercrafts that appeared on the holomap, "I'll take three troopers and we sneak inside these ships. We'll need distraction for that. And once we get inside the post, we can disable the gate," I looked up at master Plo who was rubbing his chin with his fingers, "And you come in with reinforcements."

"Alright," he nodded, "Pick your team and get going, Wolffe and I will plan the distraction." I saw the 104th commander grinning.

"Yes, sir," he just said and followed master Plo towards one of the gunships. I turned to Blitz.

"Who do I take with?" I asked him. He still knew his soldiers best, although I managed to meet most of them in person already.

"I'd say you, me, Aim and Quotee," he named the two troopers without hesitation, "I'd take Zany, but Pace will need him to help command the rest of the legion."

"Alright," I just nodded, relying fully on his competence. He stared at me, "What is it?" I asked and we started walking to the ammunition tent.

"Are you not gonna question me choosing Aim?" he asked.

"Why would I do that?"

"General Krell always forced me to only take the most senior troopers for missions like this," he said and I suddenly understood why he was so hesitant with his choices always looking for assurance when deciding about the legion.

"First thing, I'm not Krell," I said and smiled at him, "Second, I trust your judgement," I waved over Quotee when I saw a familiar helmet with a big dot in the middle, "And third, Aim is a good choice. He won't disappoint."

"Sir," the trooper quickly saluted me.

"Get Aim and meet us at the watch point in 5, we'll explain later," I told him and he nodded and sprinted away. Blitz put on his helmet and picked up his blaster and then we both jogged towards the post that was several hundred meters from the camp, overlooking the small valley through which  led a path towards the post.

The trooper lying there just pointed his finger and we saw three hovercrafts, that just appeared going slowly from behind large rock. Quotee and Aim appeared next to us just at that moment and Blitz quickly explained our plan.