Chapter 27. - Solar flares

Hello if you're still here :)

Sorry it took so long to update, I was writing and writing, till I realized I will have to split it eventually, so another chapter should be coming fairly soon as it's almost done.

Also, don't judge me, I just need someone to carry me around :D

Word Count: 5947

-----------------------------

The next few days after we arrived back to Kashyyyk were almost peaceful. We were busy dealing with the remnants of the separatists army and helping Wookies rebuild their destroyed settlements and the days seemed to not have enough hours.

Sui slipped into the camp life effortlessly, made herself useful in things I didn't expect of her. The troopers seemed to be drawn to her, just as she was drawn to them and I was happy to see she was shadowing individual clones around, helping them with their duties.

Having her with us also opened more opportunities to communicate with the wookie kids. As it turned out Sui was fluent in Shyriiwook as one of her classmates was a wookie.

After her initial fear response I was a bit worried that we won't be able to train lightsaber combat properly, but the few first lessons proved me wrong. Although she was still a bit hesitant and every so often when someone made an unexpected movement, she flinched, she put an effort into everything she did.

My heart broke a little every time I saw how much she was trying to be useful and to not fail and I knew that I would eventually have to talk to her about it. I did understand the compulsion to be useful a bit too much and I spent at least a few nights after I woke up from my nightmares contemplating how I'm the worst person to approach this subject with her. I sucked at giving myself a break.

The nightmares didn't get better. I hoped they'd eventually fade, but if they changed at all, they were worse. I was tired, not getting enough sleep at all and always busy with running the legion. One day I dozed off while receiving reports from the squad commanders and it was Pace who gently nudged my ribs under the table and later brought me a hot cup of caf to keep me awake. But after more than half a year spent fighting, the work here felt very refreshing at least to my soul if not to my body. Building instead of destroying.

I was almost sorry to leave the muddied jungles of Kashyyyk a week later, when most of our work there was finished.

"We are going to be arriving at the Vanqor system shortly," I said as the small picture of master Kenobi on the holotable shivered. We were on the outer rim and the connection wasn't stable. Not even in hyperspace.

"We have no idea what you're ...the measured disturbances..." the image blinked again and this time it didn't pop back up.

"What's going on?" I asked Fixit, who was sitting at the communication center of the bridge.

"I have no idea, general," he pushed several buttons, trying to get the signal back, "We aren't that far out yet..."

The tremor shook the whole ship and behind the large windows it looked as if the hyperspace blinked too. I held onto the communication table and saw everyone grabbing on the nearest stable objects. Next tremor shook the ship and I saw Sui crouching down next to Zany, who had his arm wrapped around her shoulders, holding her in place.

"What's going on?" I yelled at the troopers at the control center and held on tightly.

"We have no ide..."

The hyperspace wavered and then for a second it felt as if the ship stopped and then as if it turned upside down. None of it made sense, but everything around shone brightly for a few moments and then we were out of hyperspace, the whole ship spinning violently in the darkness of space. The sudden shift in gravity pushed me off my feet and I landed on the floor hitting an elbow.