Chapter 16. - Surrendered

Word Count: 3766

"It's settled then," I nodded at Pace, who quickly saluted me and ran away. It was about an hour later and the whole camp was on high alert, everything was already packed and I was standing in the middle of the circle with my COs.

We just finished the strategy briefing. I saw Fixit near the long distance communicator still trying to reach someone. Anyone would do at this point. We weren't able to contact our fleet from the time we landed and we suspected there was a ship on the orbit blocking all the planetary transmissions.

"You should take the fighter, general," I heard Zany saying as the two of us slowly walked towards the end of the camp. Most troopers were already coming there too, meeting time coming in five minutes. There was a distant humming of the droid tanks that was coming closer with every minute.

"I'll be more useful to you on foot, sergeant," I shook my head in an attempt to dismiss the idea of me flying as quickly as possible. There was it again, the emotions that I wasn't supposed to feel as a jedi. Irrational fear and worry. I sped up, because the hum of the machinery felt dangerously close.

"I disagree, general," Zany said and raced to keep up with me, "With your jedi magic, you could take more droids out from up high and it will also be safer for you."

I stopped for a second and looked him straight in the eyes, hoping to convey the message without having to say it out loud.

"I'm not gonna be flying anything, Zany, that is not up for discussion," I just said. He wasn't wearing his helmet yet and I saw his eyes narrowing just a tiny little bit, when he studied my face for a second.

"Yes, general," he saluted and ran towards a few NOCs to brief them about our strategy. I didn't have time to stop and worry about what he now thought of me. If we make it through this battle, I promised myself, I'll talk to him.

------

It was about four hours later when I realized we probably won't make it through this battle. I ran towards the next spider tank, jumped on top of it and sliced its cannon and then I cut through its body to disable it.

We've been at this for too long already. I was running low on the force, although I did my best to use it only if it wasn't avoidable and I felt my muscles straining from all the running and lightsaber swinging. And I could see the same strain in the moves of my troopers.

We were forced to retreat from our position about half an hour earlier, leaving behind our dead - another thing that would hunt me in my dreams, I knew. Now we were basically surrounded near our base camp, trying to keep the droid army from reaching the place where Chase and other medics were treating the wounded.

I took down another tank and used a little bit of force to push down a few of the marching battle droids, but even more took their place. A blast shot and droid that was aiming at me and I didn't notice went down.

Zany was keeping close to me for the whole duration of the battle and this was the third time today that he saved my life by reacting on time and shooting precisely. I deflected a few blasts that were aimed at both of us and we ran for a hiding place behind a rock.

'General, we have to consider our options,' That was Blitz's voice through the commlink. I looked around, but I didn't see his armor with yellow stripes anywhere close.

"Suggestions?" I asked, pushing the button on the commlink. There was a long moment of silence.

'How about we surrender?' That was Chase, joining the conversation throughout the commlink. I took in a deep breath.