Chapter 18. - Back to business

Word Count: 5508

He knew he was going to have nightmares about the half an hour that it took for them to get back to the republic fleet for the rest of his life. The rushed voices, the medical droid resuscitating, the absolute chaos all over the ship, the feeling of disdain when he wasn't helpful. All of it under colored with beeping of all the alarms.

He tried to stay out of the way of everyone who could be useful, because although he did undergo a basic medic training as all the clones did, he had no idea if he could be of any use.

Now it was about three weeks later and he was sitting in the ship's medbay again, next to a cleanly made bed on which laid his general. It felt familiar, but he wished it didn't.

They transferred her from the bacta tank two days ago, when most of her internal injuries and traumas were healed properly. They kept her in artificial coma even after she was transferred to one of the regular beds in the infirmary.

Chase told Blitz it was because her body had to get used to itself again after that long time spent in the bacta tank. But he also told him they will be lowering the dose until she wakes up.

Therefore Blitz was spending every free hour in the infirmary in the hopes she would wake up and not be alone. And also in that little corner of his mind where he was always honest with himself he added that he hoped she'd wake up when he was there.

For the hours that he wasn't able to be close to his general, he asked Zany and Pace to switch places with him. They both compiled without a second thought. Especially Zany, who was still apparently blaming himself for her condition. Blitz found him dozing off in the chair near her bed about half an hour earlier and sent him to sleeping quarters.

Most of the ship was busier than they were all used to. For the time being of their general's recovery they were assigned under the command of general Skywalker and already assisted his 501st on two missions.

From what Blitz could see, he was a good general, caring about his troopers, but young and not yet used to commanding such a big group of soldiers. And there was something about Skywalker that made Blitz extremely nervous. He was so unpredictable and unreadable. My general, Blitz thought, is also reckless and impulsive, but I can always tell what she will do. Unlike with general Skywalker.

Blitz butted heads with Rex for the few first days till they managed to balance their power dynamic, but even after that it wasn't the same. At least they weren't back under Krell, Blitz thought when he laid his helmet on the floor next to a chair standing near to her bed.

He heard a rumor spreading among other commanders that his previous general was back leading troops to battle. He felt pity for anyone who would end up under Krell's command.

He sat down in the chair next to his general's bed. She was still very pale and looked even smaller than usual. Blitz looked around and when he saw they were alone, he reached out and took the palm of her hand into his. So small. Her hands were small with long fingers and her skin felt so delicate. He gently squeezed her palm.

"General, come back to us," he said as quietly as he could, so that he wouldn't wake up other soldiers in the ship's medbay, "Come back to me." he whispered so quietly he almost didn't hear himself saying that.

He realized he fell asleep only when he felt a light touch of small delicate fingers on his face. He snapped his eyes open, straightening his back in the chair. First thing he saw was the face of his general, a little bit confused and a little bit pained. She was standing - force knew how - leaning over him and softly touching his cheek.

----

Blitz's sudden quick movement pushed me off my balance. My legs were less than steady when I stood up and now I staggered and started to fall.