Chapter 5

"Jaune, wake up!"

The blonde knight opened his eyes immediately. His fragile sleep was shattered and he looked up to see a pair of green eyes and a curtain or copper red hair.

"What's going on?" He asked sitting up spotting the fire still burning in the hearth and he looked around the room.

"I heard something outside," she explained moving away towards the far wall. "You should get dressed," she instructed and he wasted no time grabbing his partially dry clothes.

He pulled them on hastily, thankfully they were at least warm if not completely dry. "What do you hear?" He asked unable to discern any noise aside from the crackle of their fire and the wind roaring outside.

"I heard movement," she explained to him, "I think they know we are here."

Jaune nodded pulling on his breastplate. A dull thud from above them told the knight that indeed something was outside. "We don't have any good choices," he said securing his pauldrons, "we have to defend this place, we won't last without shelter."

Penny nodded in agreement watching him put Crocea Mors on his hip and grab the shotgun breaking it open to load in two of the shells and snapped the gun closed.

Bang!

The front door rattled, something struck it hard and it banged again as it was battered a second time. Penny stepped away from the door her Floating Array deploying as numerous blades unfolded ready for combat.

Jaune dropped the shotgun and grabbed the old moldy sofa. He pushed it across the room the legs grinding against the floor as he forced it against the door. Following his lead Penny kept across the room grabbing an old heavy bookshelf and lifting it up with ease and adding it to the barricade laying it down atop the couch.

The door still clattered, the crack of splintering wood felt like a stab. Jaune lept back as a piece of the door burst open. A blast of frigid winds and the snapping jaws of one of the canine like drones with red eyes. He drew Crocea Mors from his hip and thrust his family blade through the mouth of the machine. The drone twitched and fell limp sparking in the gap in the door.

Glass and wood exploded as one of the drones leapt through one of the boarded up windows lunging immensely for Jaune only to stop as Floating Array struck severing it in half. Jaune jumped back and knelt dropping Crocea Mors into its sheath grabbing the shotgun and raising it to the open window.

Sure enough one of the agile quadrupedal drones tried climbing through the broken window but Jaune squeezed the trigger. The shotgun roared, the blast of the weapon made his ears ring but the drone stumbled and fell down as the buckshot struck it tearing its body apart.

Penny's blade finished it off and Jaune turned scanning the area for more threats trying to discern just where they might come from next.

The room around him seemed to erupt and he felt Penny tackle him to the floor among all the glass and debris. Bullets ripped through the walls shattering everything as the loud tears of automatic fire cut became the only thing he could hear. "Where's it coming from!?" He asked Penny trying to talk over the din of gunfire unable to discern much in the chaos. "Can you target them through the wall?"

"I can," Penny affirmed with a nod, "four shooters, circling our position." She leapt up the blades dancing all around her moving lighting fast as she deflected the bullets while four of the blades morphed into their laser gun forms shooting a blast of green light directly through the wall.

Jaune spotted two drones leaping down the stairs, the submachine gun on its back raised and Jaune fired from his prone position shattering it. The second lept and he readied to use the empty gun as a club when Floating Array lashed out severing the robot into pieces. One of the scrap pieces flew into the fire spraying cinders everywhere.