Chapter 19

Jaune idly watched as the bullheads landed and took off from the academy pad. Six O'clock was the agreed time they'd meet up for the date but she was currently five minutes late. Jaune didn't peg Neon as a very punctual girl but the wait was still driving his nerves crazy. He had showered and groomed himself before showing up just a little early as not to miss her. He kept thinking about anything he could have missed or gotten wrong. Why was this so stressful? Weren't dates supposed to be fun?

He took a deep calming breath of the cool evening air to help relax himself and as soon as he released it he saw her. She hadn't been lying when she said she was going to be dressed to kill. She wore a black minidress that gave him a very good look at her legs and a tasteful if somewhat low neckline that exposed enough cleavage to draw his eye. The hem of the dress was frilled with punk style tears as if it had one been a full length dress but the tears revealed a bright rainbow of neon colors. It had an effect that drew Jaune's eyes to her legs which he found brilliantly unfair. Knee high leather boots with rainbow laces adorned her legs and her red and green hair was down.

Jaune took in an eyeful of her and tried to think of how best to greet her. "Wow!" it was all he managed to stay to her as she approached.

Neon grinned widely and did a twirl for him giving Jaune a view from all sides. "Wow yourself Mr. Sharp!" she said closing the distance to him and looking him up and down with a very approving eye. "Look at you rocking those fine threads, don't I feel special."

Jaune scratched the back of his head, "You really like it?" he asked her, "I was a little worried."

"I told you to suit up and you did, you look really sexy in a suit," she told him, taking hold of his arm and pulling him towards the nearest bullhead accepting passengers.

"Thanks," Jaune said as she led him, "You look amazing."

"Amazing?!" she said with a teasing pout feigning disappointment in his choice of word. "I was going for hot."

"Trust me you nailed it," Jaune assured her with a nervous laugh, "You look hot, like... amazingly hot."

Neon grinned in satisfaction, "Good," she said smugly.

Jaune couldn't help but grin. She was actually happy to be on this date with him. He felt like that shouldn't be a surprise to him considering she had been the one to ask him out but seeing her face light up when he called her hot seemed to ease his apprehension.

They stepped aboard the bullhead together and sat right next to each other hand in hand. Neon leaned against him making herself comfortable against him as she settled her head against her shoulder. The bullhead took off and began flying them over Atlas as it began to ferry them down to Mantle.

"Is the suit new?" Neon asked clearly, comfortably against him.

"Yeah, how could you tell?" he asked.

"Because it still has a tag attached," she told him with a giggle, she took hold of his sleeve where a single tag hung from the buttons of his cuff. Jaune felt himself go flush with embarrassment, why did it have to come with so many tags?

Neon took hold of the tag and ripped it off for taking a glance at the price. Neon whistled in appreciation, "Whoa big spender," she said appreciatively, "you spent that much on lil ole me?"

"Well I didn't exactly pack a suit when I came to Atlas," Jaune explained, "and I figured if you were going to be dressed up so I'd probably get something nice."

"Well color me flattered," Neon smiled and Jaune felt his embarrassment fade as she tucked the tag to his jacket in his breast pocket.

In little time the bullhead managed to complete the short journey landing in Mantle. It didn't take long for the two of them to catch a cab and they both stepped into the back seat. "Drive us to the Beats nightclub please," Neon told the cabbie as they buckled up.