Chapter 27

Penelope observed the blonde huntsman through the interconnected web of cameras made to observe every street and alley of Atlas. Despite the sophistication even this surveillance system was limited, there was no camera in Jaune Arc's dorm room which he shared with two others, Lie Ren and Nora Valkyrie, his teammates as she had eventually learned, combing over the digital files Bonnie had provided to her.

It had only been a couple of days but already she was noticing a slight pattern to his movements. Twice already he had woken up earlier than his comrades to fly to mantle where he followed a familiar path through the city visiting various homes and apartments collecting about a half dozen children and their mothers whom he escorted through the school. A quick data search found an ongoing low level huntsmen contract that he had picked up regularly and it seemed since the chaos of the recent terrorist attacks had died down he had resumed taking the contract regularly. The rest of the day had been more sporadic with him preforming various duties for Atlas or working higher level contracts with his teammates, he regularly interacted with another team of four similarly aged girls whom a data search revealed to be Team RWBY led by Ruby Rose, potential enemies.

But what interested her the most was watching her sister. Penny was not the easiest to track, unlike Jaune she moved around the city with far greater speed and efficiency thanks to her flight capabilities, tracking her with cameras that mainly resided on street level was far more difficult and a pattern was hard to discern. But what she had seen her do was curious, she had watched her fly in after two vehicles had collided injuring the occupants, she had observed her sister use her enhanced strength to pull apart the warped metal to retrieve the injured human inside and apply medical aid ahead of the paramedics. She thwarted petty robberies by very simply subduing and bringing the criminal in. She had pulled civilians from burning buildings and assisted fire crews however she could, she had even helped bring a cat down from a tree.

It was wrong. They were weapons, instruments of destruction not tools for whatever it was she was doing. They were built to kill, Vasily had told her so. Was her sister simply defective as a weapon? Was she confused with her purpose? The sight of it gave Penelope a strange unfamiliar feeling, a powerful desire to correct her sister. Was this anger? That emotion she had only witnessed from Vasily, was this what he felt when Bonnie forgot her place?

Many of the things she witnessed through the digital lenses of the cameras made little sense to her and others made her curious to what they meant. Some things she dismissed as simply strange things for humans that didn't apply to her. The one thing that kept entering her mind was from when she had first located Jaune leading those children to that school. Her sister had met with him there and after a brief conversation they had brought their faces together touching their lips to one another. It seemed a strange gesture to her, she did not know it's significance but it seemed strangely important to her and she made a note to bring it up to Vasily.

She caught sight of Jaune Arc leaving his dorm room in the Academy dressed in his usual manner and walking the halls to the nearest landing pad where she had already observed Penny waiting for several minutes.

It had seemed odd that she would wait for a bullhead when she was perfectly capable of flight herself but upon seeing Jaune step onto the pad and smile in her direction it became clear that she was waiting for Jaune. They came together and once more touched their lips together if only for a brief instant. What was that? Some sort of human thing she had yet to understand? It seemed significant unlike other moments where she watched him scratch certain parts of his anatomy or disappeared for irregular periods of time into bathrooms.

She watched as he took her hand in his interlacing their fingers together and bored a bullhead together.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX