Chapter 22

Jaune pulled his scroll out of his pocket and checked the time with a frown before returning it to his pocket with a sigh. "How long has it been?" Ren asked him leaning against the wall with his arms folded in front of his chest as outside bullheads landed and lifted off the pad ferrying students and personnel to Mantle.

"Half hour," Jaune answered, mirroring his friend and leaning back against the wall and crossing his arms. "I wonder what's taking them so long," Jaune mused idly, "They said to meet them in an hour."

Ren didn't seem to mind the wait however, he bore it with the same quiet stoicism as he did everything but Jaune felt himself growing antsy. The rest of team FNKI had left ahead of them and their one straggling teammate to get to the club, Flynt told them he couldn't wait since he was expected on stage and Ivori and Kobalt had little interest in staying behind to wait for Nora, Neon and Penny.

Jaune idly watched the bullheads flying through the window as they waited. He couldn't help but think of what Ren had said to him back when they were changing in their dorm.

"Sorry we're late," Neon said rolling down the hall on her skates. Jaune turned to address her but stopped as he caught sight of Penny walking right beside her. She was wearing a light green dress that bared her shoulders and legs and her long copper red hair was done up in a couple braids framing her face and setting a long braid over one shoulder. Her face was positively radiant and drew his gaze to her bright green eyes.

"Woah," Jaune said, not hiding his amazement as she stole his gaze. "You look beautiful," He complimented.

Penny looked away with a pleased smile on her face, he supposed she wasn't used to being so openly complimented on her looks but embarrassed as she was that smile practically lit up the hallway. "Uh... thank you Jaune," she told him, unable to meet his eye, "Neon and Nora deserve all the credit, they helped me a lot."

Neon playfully nugged Penny, "don't sell yourself short girl, you clean up well." Neon and Nora were both dressed up as well, Neon in a little black dress and Nora in a pale pink. But they admittedly seemed rather dull standing next to Penny who not only was looking far more radiant than he had ever seen her but her evident embarrassment was also undeniably cute as well.

"Let's go Jaune, you can gawk at Penny some more later," Nora said, taking Ren's arm and leading him outside where a bullhead waited for passengers.

"I wasn't gawking," Jaune defended, "she looks great is all," he said to her.

"We know," Neon said, walking past him following Ren and Nora as they walked out for the bullhead leaving Jaune and Penny together.

"Uh... shall we go?" Penny asked him nervously.

Jaune nodded, "Sure," he said, turning to leave and she walked out and fell into step behind him. Why was she acting so nervous and embarrassed? Her heels clicked alongside him as they walked out onto the landing platform and boarded the bullhead. They took their seats beside one another and buckled up.

They sat in silence together as they flew across the skies over Atlas and Mantle, Jaune gazed out the window at the increasingly familiar skyline. He kept feeling like everyone was looking at him but every time he looked back at his friends their eyes were elsewhere.

"You look really nice too Jaune," Penny said, suddenly breaking the silence between them.

"Uh thanks," Jaune said surprised by the sudden compliment. She had seen him in this suit before, hell she had helped him pick it out.

Penny didn't say another word and kept her eyes focused out the window as they reached their landing zone and touched down. They piled out of the bullhead and took to the streets walking with Neon leading the way as she usually did. Penny's steps clicked against the concrete sidewalk as she walked beside Jaune.