Chapter 24

Crocea Mors edge thrust through the throat of a Beowulf. Jaune pulled away and watched as the monster flailed and bleed out, getting only slower before Jaune could finish it with a couple of cleaving strikes to its head, splitting it open. It wasn't his cleanest kill but every part of him felt weak and slow.

Mantle's perimeter defenses had been damaged thanks to an explosion knocking out power to many of the city's automated defense systems and the confusion and fear had only helped draw the grimm in. So far Atlas military regulars had assisted in the bulk of the fighting but occasional grimm managed to slip through their line leaving Jaune and other huntsmen to clean them out.

So far the only news they had gotten was that this was this was an act of terrorism but Ironwood had made clear he had no idea who had orchestrated tonight's series of firebombings but he promised that all resources were being focused on bringing the perpetrators to justice. He had also begged citizens not to panic and remain vigilant in these hard times but it had seemed like a flat request as technicians had been rerouting power to the city's defense system leaving many without power. Not that he could blame Ironwood, panicking only attracted the grimm and he suspected that was precisely what these terrorists wanted.

He took watch for more grimm breathing in the cold night air as he defended his assigned secretor from any grimm that might try getting past him and into Mantle to wreak havoc. The quiet had at least given him some time to think Penny.

That dance, it had almost winded him in the intensity, her unique mechanical grace and her ability to learn and adapt to the dance had led him to get lost in it. Her confession, the way she struggled to confess her own intense feelings that she had only been able to convey through a kiss.

And that kiss, he could still feel a phantom of it upon his lips and how her body had melded against his. He hadn't expected such intensity from her, she barely permitted him a chance to catch his breath and even say her name before stealing his lips once more. It had only been after the kiss hand ended and they parted ways that he even realized that he had been kissing a robot. Not that he could tell when his lips were locked with hers or he was running his fingers through her hair, he had been lost in that moment and now he was left to ponder what happened next.

His scroll beeped and he pulled it out finding a group call waiting for him to answer. He hit the answer button to find Ironwood looking at his face. "All teams report back to Atlas Academy," he told him, "your relief has been deployed and we're sending a pickup, you have all earned a good rest and I expect you to do just that."

Jaune pocketed the scroll and released a sigh of relief. His sword felt like a lead weight in his arms and his eyelids were heavy from exhaustion. His aura was at forty percent and while he could keep killing grimm he needed rest, but even more than rest he wanted to see Penny, he wanted to talk to her about their kiss about what she had told him.

He sheathed his blade, he had luckily been able to change before coming here. Thanks to rocket propelled lockers similar to Beacon he had been able to call his gear to his location and changed into his armor back at the club.

Ren and Nora were already waiting for their bullhead pickup with numerous other huntsmen and Atlas students he didn't recognize. Everyone was exhausted, it was a half hour after four in the morning and they had been fighting grimm for most of the night with little to no sleep. In Jaune's case he hadn't even eaten yet and a part of him wished he had at least tried to get a bite to eat back at the club when he had a chance. He'd kill for a simple cup of coffee right now.

"What's your kill count for the night?" Nora asked him, "I totalled twenty six," she said a little proud but obviously tired like he was.

"I didn't count," Jaune told her suppressing a yawn, "probably less than that."