Chapter 39

Bonnie watched the camera feed go white.

What had just happened?

She watched closely the blinding light of the explosion obscured all vision she had of the fight. Smoke obscured the scene further and she could not see the results. She watched the screen eager for a confirmation.

Was Arc dead? Was Vasily dead?

The thought of him perishing as this sent a strange mix of emotions through her. What if he was gone? Her hand moved to her stomach as her thoughts turned to the life that was growing inside her of her. If he was gone it would be safe, if he was gone this would all be over. If only Arc had perished she would leave with him for Vacuo and continue on.

The thought made her nauseous. More assassionation, a repeating cycle of helping him best whoever happened to move into Vasily's crosshairs. The possibility seemed like a vast empty void expanding to swallow her into it's cold black depths.

A red light pulled her attention away alerting her. She turned and addressed the screen as it alerted her to an intruder. Her fingers danced across the keyboard showing her. A hacker who had managed to slip past her digital defenses and was currently rummaging around, she watched as the intruder severed her connection to one of the bombs, snipping the string that connected her to a dozen petty threats as an insurance for Vasily.

Watching the connection being wrestled away from felt like a weight being released from her. Watching the possibility of hurting an innocent being taken away sent a flutter of relief through her. Bonnie knew she should do something, she should expel the intruder from her system and detonate one of the bombs to make a point, but it was a weak call compared to the ease that soothed her.

With a few keystrokes instead she opened a message window and typed a message.

Who are you? She typed to her strange intruder.

Several seconds passed and she looked to the screed watching for any signs of life and finding none.

Pietro Polendina, and you are Bonnie. The hacker answered her.

How do you know who I am? Bonnie asked.

I watched Penelope's memories. Why haven't you stopped me? Pietro responded.

Bonnie stared at the question and looked back to the camera feed. She noticed Vasily's form moving on the ground, he was alive and that empty void seemed to expand ready to swallow her.

I'm not sure if I want to stop you. Bonnie answered him.

Then don't. Pietro replied.

It's not that simple. Bonnie protested.

It can be. Pietro responded.

What will happen to me if he loses? I am not innocent. She told him wondering what to do. She should stop him, cold and empty as it seemed to go on with Vasily surely it was a better alternative than rotting in an Atlas prison for her life, she had gone this fat and there was no escape.

You can run, get away while you can. Pietro answered her.

You would let me escape? Bonnie asked him.

I would. Pietro told her.

Why? She asked.

Because I want this to end, because I want Jaune and Penny to both walk away from all of this. He told her.

I share responsibility in all of this, I hurt them too. She explained to him.

I don't want revenge, I want this to be over. Pietro told her.