Chapter 31

The lights below moved as a blur as Penny raced towards the edge of the city. All she wanted was to race back to the hotel room and return to Jaune's embrace. He was right, they had if nothing else made progress. He had liked the underwear and had even called her hot. It was an improvement of simply being cute in his eyes. She shuddered remembering his eyes, the lust he had looking at her clad in little bits of lace. She was now glad that Neon had insisted she get them, she had once again been right. It was almost annoying how often she was right about these kinds of things, she could write a book. She wished she had a book for something like this when she first realized she had feelings for Jaune.

It was supposed to be a long night. Securing a perimeter for the Atlas engineers to help manage the defense malfunction shouldn't take too long, an hour or two at most, three if they were late getting there. She would be back soon enough, she would return to his arms and continue counting and mentally cataloguing his scars, each one was unique and she wanted to find more, it was like a game that she was eager to continue playing.

Her danger senses flashed red and pulled her sharply away from her thoughts. Something was approaching fast, she turned spotting a missile trailing behind her tracking her heat signature. A missile?

She banked hard to the left and deployed Floating Array targeting the missile with her laser detonating the warhead with a single precise blast. Where had that come from?

Another missile launched, streaking across the sky like a shooting star trailing smoke. Her optics zoomed onto a rooftop where an automated launcher sat atop the tube raised to the sky. Floating Array fired twice once disabling the launcher and destroying the missile it launched. Someone had hacked the automated air defence system designed to destroy airborne grimm and any other form of aerial enemies.

A burst of gunfire erupted from another roof, tracer rounds streaking across the sky towards her as multiple anti-air turrets opened up on her and more missiles fired from the ground. She moved to evade the fire, the fired shells detonated when they got close to her showering her with shrapnel. She targeted the surface to air missiles first using her lasers for point defense before targeting the turrets that launched them. The hail of ground fire kept her on her toes as she jetted through the sky trying to outmaneuver them before firing back destroying several with laser blasts.

Every time she destroyed one threat it seemed that two others were prepared to take its place. She had flown straight into a kill zone with presighted guns ready to tear her into pieces. A hail of gunfire came from above, electricity infused dust striking her. Her aura could only partially shield her from the electrical discharge that coursed through her circuits, static blurred her audio and visual functions. She turned and looked above her to see an aerial drone diving down straight at her it's nose mounted minigun releasing a torrent of dust infused munitions.

This had to be Vasily's work. It had his modus operandi written all over it. She fired at the drone only for a hardlight shield to deploy blocking her shot. This wasn't good, she was taking fire from multiple directions.

Blasting away another missile before it could get in range to detonate. She pulled up climbing high into the sky working to evade the ground fire as she climbed higher and higher into the sky above the limited range of the anti air guns. From out of the clouds two more of the large flying drones appeared opening fire with their nose mounted guns firing bursts at her.

She sped away as fast as she could to evade as she charged up the laser in Floating Array, she wasn't going to waste her time, she couldn't afford too. The closest drone released a missile towards her and she stopped taking aim on the drone as it raced closer, she targeted the drone and fired.

The hardlight shield flared up and shattered as her charged shot broke through the defense and blasted a hole straight through the drone. The missile it launched continued to race straight for her and she shot out one of Floating Array's blades intercepting the guided rocket and slicing it.