Chapter 7

Penny's eyes opened. Streams of data went through her mind as she booted up. She immediately recognized that she was in the infirmary of Atlas Academy in one of the many identical patient rooms.

"Hello Penny," a kind and familiar voice greeted, "how are you feeling baby girl?"

She turned to see her father sitting next to her bed, with Winter and Ruby standing close behind. Streams of data flashed in her vision giving her a detailed diagnostic report. Circuit damage, multiple lacerations on her synthetic tissue, her backup battery was damaged and replaced. The list went on and on in front of her and she blinked it away.

"Where is Jaune!" She asked him.

"Mr. Arc is resting." Winter answered her stepping close. Her usually stern tone was softer than usual. "The doctors say his condition has stabilized."

"You saved him Penny." Ruby chimed in giving a little reassuring smile. "We saw your signal, you refused to power down until he was safely aboard the bullhead getting medical attention."

"I want to see him." Penny told them moving to stand. She remembered everything, it was there in her positronic brain clear as day. She still heard his screams echoing in the night.

"Easy now sweetheart," Pietro said putting his hand on her shoulder. "He's safe now and he's not going anywhere. Just answer me first. How are you feeling?"

"I feel... good... I am still damaged but my power levels are back to normal levels, my diagnostic reports claim I am mostly repaired." She explained to her father trying to fight the urge to leave this room and find a Jaune. She knew logically of course they were telling the truth, but part of her needed to see him for herself.

"That's good." Pietro said nodding. "You had quite a bit of damage to your circuitry and I had to do some manual repairs, but your internal repair systems should be able to handle the rest of the damage. But I'll be checking in with you often to see how you're holding up."

Penny nodded trying to calm herself. "Thank you father," She said, giving him a little smile. "I hope you were not worried about me."

Pietro gave her a warm smile leaning back in his mechanical chair. "I wouldn't be much of a father if I didn't worry about my little girl," he told her, removing his spectacles and cleaning them off with a cloth. "I'm just glad you're safe darling, now go on, I know you're eager to see your friend."

Penny smiled at him and stood up, her bare feet touched the linoleum floor and she leaned forward to hug her father. "Thank you father." She said, earning a gentle pat on the back.

She pulled away from the hug and stepped forward finding that her motor functions were operating well. She moved immediately for the door but Winter stepped into her path blocking her. "Slow down Penny." She instructed her grabbing a robe off a hook and holding it out for her.

Penny looked at the robe then back up at Winter with a little confusion. "That hospital gown is exposing a lot Penny, I can see your butt." Ruby explained to her with a little red coloring on her cheeks. Penny looked down realizing that indeed she was wearing a white hospital gown that tied in the back leaving her back and rear clear to see as Ruby said.

She accepted the robe from winter and tied the little belt closed making her decent. "Thank you." She said looking down. Human modesty was something that occasionally slipped her mind. She understood clothing in a practical and aesthetic sense but she used to have trouble understanding why humans were so embarrassed about their natural anatomy.

She opened the door and walked out with Winter and Ruby close behind. "He's this way." Winter said, steering her to the right and down a hallway. "I should warn you Penny, as you already know he was hurt very badly. He's stable but it'll be a little bit before he's ready to move."