CHAPTER 5

BETTY'S POV

I haven't talked to Jughead for a whole week. It was now Tuesday. He's tried to start up a conversation but I just excused myself saying I had to do something or my mum needed help with something. I knew it was mean, but I was still upset and also embarrassed about that kiss. I didn't get it, if he didn't feel the same way why could he just not tell me that? I let out a small sigh as I sat at my desk in English. I had this class with Jughead, he sat in the second row on the right closest to the door and I sat in the third row on the left closest to the windows. "Alright, everyone settle down" Mr. Haven said as he leaned against his desk with a smile. He was one of my favourite teachers since he was nice and more laid back and was barely strict. "Alright, so we'll start with the homework first" He said as he went to the board and a lot of kids groaned making him chuckle "So, you'll be partnering up, I shall be choosing the partners. You'll both work together to create a short story, you can choose what it's about, mystery, crime, fantasy, whatever but it has to be your own. You can look at some books in the library or use the internet to get some ideas" He said as he writ it down and I copied it into my notebook. "Ok! Partners are...Ethel muggs and Dilton doyley, Ben butler with Midge clump..." He continued calling out names and when he got to mine I perked my head up "And Elizabeth cooper with Jughead jones" He finished as he set his chart down and I looked over at Jughead to see he was looking over at me with a little smile and I gave a small one back. Great, after ignoring him for a week, I now have to face him, god this will be awkward.

After class I grabbed my bag and packed up my stuff before going to leave the classroom but then a hand gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me back in and I turned to see Jughead. "Um hi" I said quietly "Why are you ignoring me?" He said, cutting to the chase. "What? I'm not ignoring you.." I said awkwardly and he raised his eyebrows at me making me sigh "Fine maybe I was ignoring you" I murmured and he frowned, looking hurt. "Why?" He asked and I sighed "I don't know, I guess I was embarrassed about the kiss" I said as I looked down, feeling my face heat up. "Look Betts I'm sorry about that ok? I- it's just" He said as he rubbed the back of his neck and I looked up at him "It's ok" I said softly and he sighed and I decided to change the topic. "Whos house do you want to do the project in?" I asked and he shrugged "Maybe yours? We wont get much quiet with Jelly" He said making me giggle and nod "Sure, walk with me after school?" I asked with a little smile and he smiled and nodded.

JUGHEAD'S POV

I still felt bad for Betty not knowing the reason why I've never gotten into a relationship. She should know right? She probably thinks it's something to do with her and it's not, not at all. Maybe I should just put my fear aside and tell her the truth. I like her, like a lot and I want to tell her my feelings but I also don't want us to get hurt. I sighed running my hands through my hair before walking to my next class.

After school I met Betty outside and we walked back to her house together before going up to her bedroom. "Where's your mom?" I asked as I stood in her room as she took her shoes off and sat on her bed taking her English notebook out. "She's at work, also you can sit down you know" She said looking up at me with a smile and I chuckled as I took my shoes off and then sat beside her on the bed, she was sitting cross legged in the middle of the bed beside the pillows and I was sitting on the edge of the bed. "So what type do you want the story to be?" I asked as I also got my notebook and pen out and glanced over to her and she shrugged. "I'm not sure maybe...Mystery?" She asked with a smile and I smirked "Good choice" I said as we both writ it down. "Ok and what will it be about?" She asked and I sighed trying to think of something. "What about...a small town that looks perfect but isn't? During the day it's fine, kids are out playing, teens are at the local diner getting a milkshake but then at night all hell breaks loose? There's a murderer that the towns sheriff is trying to find but cant since he always wears a mask and is hard to fully see, he lurks in the shadows, only coming out at night, breaking into homes and murdering family's, killing pets that are kept in backyards overnight?" I said and she looked at me with raised eyebrows and I frowned a little "Too dark?" I asked and she smiled shaking her head "That sounds perfect" She said and I smiled as we both jotted it down then going and starting to plan it.

After a few hours of getting our story planned out and writing the first few chapters we decided that would be all for today and we could work more on it tomorrow. "I should probably head home" I said with a little smile as I stood up and Betty smiled and nodded "Right" She said with a small giggle "See you tomorrow? We could walk to school?" I questioned and she nodded "Sounds good, I'll see you tomorrow Jug" She said with a kind smile and I returned it before saying a quick bye and going out of her bedroom and downstairs to be met with miss. Cooper coming in the door. She turned and smiled at me "Jughead hello" She said as she hung her coat up "Hey Miss. C" I said with a smile "What are you doing here?" She asked with a kind smile "Me and Betty are paired up for an English project" I replied and she nodded with a smile "Alright, say hi to you dad for me will you?" She asked and I nodded as I opened the door "Will do, have a good night" I said and she smiled at me before closing the door and I made my way back to my house.

Later that night I was finishing up some writing seated at my desk, it was around 11:30pm. I knew it was a school night but I had nearly finished this chapter of my book. Just as I finished it up and closed my laptop out of the corner of my eye I noticed that a light in Bettys room turned on. Not thinking much of it I stood up and took my clothes off and then put a pair of grey plaid pajama bottoms on and was just about to climb into bed when I noticed Betty was sat on her window seat. I smiled as I went closer to the window to wave at her but then I quickly frowned when I noticed the small tears falling down her face. She noticed me and tried to wipe away the tears 'Are you ok?' I mouthed and she nodded and then stood up giving me a tiny smile and mouthing 'goodnight' to me before closing the curtains. I frowned as I laid down in bed and turned of my lamp. What was she so upset about?

The next day as we were walking to school I decided to bring up last night. "Hey about last night, is everything ok?" I asked carefully and she looked up at me and sighed quietly "After I found my dad that day after school, I've been having nightmares about him. Some are nice, it's us two working on old cars and him taking me for a milkshake at the local diner back in New York. But then there's the bad ones. The ones where it would be pitch black and he would start shouting that it's my fault that he died, that I should've done more to save him. The ones where I would be younger and we were at the park and when I slid down the slide he wouldn't be there and when I turned around yelling 'daddy' I would see him just standing there staring at me blankly, a beer bottle in his hand" I looked at her in shock as tears fell down her face "Oh my god Betty, I'm so sorry" I whispered and then pulled her in for a hug as she cried. "What happened wasn't your fault ok? No one could've done anything and you tried your best alright?" I said gently as I rubbed her back and she nodded before pulling away "T-thank you" She said shakily and I shook my head "You don't have to thank me for anything" I said softly as I gave her a gentle smile and she gave me a small one back before wiping her eyes and sniffling. "We better get to school before were late" She said with a small teary laugh and I let out a small laugh nodding "Yeah" I said and with that we started walking again, this time are hands side by side, brushing together. I could sense we both wanted them to be intertwined but we were both to scared to do it.

 I could sense we both wanted them to be intertwined but we were both to scared to do it

Please Vote

😊💓