CHAPTER 7

BETTY'S POV

I woke up and rolled over letting out a small groan at the sun shining in my eyes but then I remembered about last night and sat up peering over the edge of my bed to see the puppy still in the basket laying down and it was looking up at me. I let out a small sigh of relief that it was ok through the night. I grabbed my phone and checked the time which read 9:15am. I got out of bed and leaned down in front of the basket and smiled as I stroked its fur and it licked my hand making me giggle. I gently lifted it out of the basket and set it on the floor. "Come here" I called quietly patting my lap. It stood up but whimpered as it held its right paw up and then lied down and licked it and I frowned looking at it sadly before gently lifting it back up and putting it in the basket. "Alright, let me get ready and then I'll show you to my mum and then we can take you to the vet" I said as I stroked its head before standing up and getting ready. I put on a pair of dark blue denim jeans with a dark grey tank top and tied a blue flannel around my waist and put my hair in a ponytail before going and lifting the basket up with the puppy in it and making my way out of my room. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen to see me mum drinking some coffee whilst typing on her laptop sat at the dining table, probably something for the register. She looked over at me and smiled "Good morning Honey, is that your laundry?" She asked with a soft smile and I gave a small smile back "Morning and uh not quite" I said making her knit her eyebrows together in confusion as I made my way over to her and set the basket on the table and she gasped. "Betty where in gods name did you get a dog??" She said shocked looking at me "Jug phoned me last night saying he heard noises coming from our backyard so I went out and found it hiding in the bushes. It needs a vet mom, it cant stand without whimpering and laying down again, it has cuts all over it and its front paw is hurt" I said quietly afraid of what she would say. She sighed looking at the pup and stroking its head a little "Ok, let me go get ready and then we can take it to get checked out and then they can probably find a home for it" She said as she stood up and I frowned "Can we not-" She cute me off "We are not keeping it Betty" She said sternly and I sighed "Why not? It needs a home and we've bonded overnight" I said quietly as I looked at the puppy and it looked back up at me and I looked over at my mom who sighed. "Let me think about" She mumbled before making her way upstairs and I smiled as I looked at the puppy "Well it's something" I said with small laugh as the puppy licked my hand.

We made it to the vet and they took the puppy away for x-rays on its paw and to get it checked out whilst we sat in the waiting room. My leg was bouncing up and down anxiously and then I got a text. I took my phone out of my pocket and saw it was from Jug. 'Hey are you guys at the vet? How is it?' He texted and I texted back 'It was ok this morning. I tried to make it stand but it just lay down again. It's away for x-rays now and to get checked out' I responded 'That's good, I'm sure it will be fine, don't worry :)' He texted and I smiled typing back 'Thanks Jug, you can come over when we get back if you want?' I asked 'Sure sounds good, I'll see you then' He replied and I smiled putting my phone back in my pocket. I then looked at my mum and saw she was smirking at me "What?" I asked confused "You and Jughead are close aren't you?" She asked and I rolled my eyes with a smile "We're just friends mom" I said and she chuckled quietly "Keep telling yourself that sweetie" She said and I blushed looking down. I still like Jughead but I know he doesn't want to be in a relationship with me. A few minutes passed and the Vet came out with a smile and we stood up "How is it?" I asked and she smiled "She is good. We gave her some antibiotics to help prevent her cuts getting infected and we also cleaned them. We also gave her, her last injection. Turns out she did indeed break her front leg so we gave her some pain meds and put her leg in a cast. She'll have to wear that from 4-6 weeks depending how fast it heals. Are you two taking her home or are we finding her a home?" The lady asked. I looked over at my mum with raised eyebrows and a smile and she sighed shaking her head with a little smile "Were bringing her home" She said and I squealed and hugged her tightly "Thank you!" I said happily and she smiled kissing my head "Your welcome. I'm only doing this because you've had a hard year. But you better take care of it. Take it out for walks and house train it" She said sternly with a smile "I will I promise" I said with a big smile and she smiled. A few minutes passed and the vet came back out and handed us the puppy. I nearly cried seeing her. Her leg was in a cast with a purple bandage around it and she looked so scared. "Can you tell what age she is?" My mum asked and the vet nodded "We think she's around 9 weeks. But since she's smaller we think she was the runt of the litter" She said with a little smile and I kissed the puppy's nose. "I just need to get you the antibiotics and pain meds and then your free to go" She said with a smile before going away and I smiled at the puppy in my arms. 

After we got her medicine and got a note on when and how to give her the medicine we got in the car and then went to the pet shop to get her some stuff. We got her puppy food and two bowls and also a cream coloured fluffy bed and also some toys and a leash and collar as well as some puppy pads. After we did that we made our way back home and went inside. I got her stuff set up in my room and then put her bowls in the kitchen along with her food. I then sat down on my bed with her as she played with a cozy wolf toy thing we got her. Suddenly there was a knock on the door "Betty it's Jug!" My mom called up "Let him in!" I called back. I heard footsteps and then Jug appeared in my doorway "Hey" he smiled and I smiled back "Hi" I said happily and he smiled coming and sitting on my bed and staring at the puppy in awe "It's adorable, is it a boy or girl?" He asked as he stroked her and I smiled "A girl, the vet said she's around 9 weeks old" I said and he nodded "So I take it you're keeping it?" He asked with a grin and I giggled nodding and he chuckled. "Does she have a name yet?" He asked and I shook my head "Not yet" I said softly. Then it was quiet and we were just staring into each others eyes and then Jughead shook his head, a small frown forming on his face. "Betty I think you should know why I don't want to date you- I mean I do, but I-I I'm scared" He said quietly and I frowned "What are you scared of?" I asked gently as I put a hand on his hand that was sitting on the bed. He looked down and started talking. "When I was 13 my mum left me and Jelly who was one at the time. She came home and her and my dad started yelling at each other. I still remember me taking Jelly into my bedroom and holding her as she cried till she fell asleep. Then my dad came in which felt like hours later. I could tell he had been crying. He sat on my bed looking at me and Jelly sadly before telling me my own mother was seeing another man and had left us. She didn't even tell us a goodbye Betty! What mother doesn't say a goodbye to her kids and just leaves them. Ever since then I've been scared to get into a relationship. Afraid they'll hurt me like my mum did my dad. You should've seen him Betty. The few weeks following he was so sad. He had started drinking but slurp, Sweetpeas dad quickly stopped him from going to far. Reminding him he had two kids who needed him and his support. After that he tried his best to be the best dad he could be. Even after working long hours at his construction job he would take Jelly and I out to pops for a milkshake and some dinner. I despise my mum Betty and never want to see her again. That's why I don't get into relationships" He said quietly. A tear rolled down his cheek but he quickly wiped it away and looked down at his lap. He looked so sad and hurt. I could tell he was trying to be strong and try not to be weak. I moved closer to him before wrapping my arms around him and hugging him. He tensed up at first, shocked but then relaxed and let it out. He broke down in my arms. Letting out quiet sobs as I rubbed his back. "It's ok" I whispered softly as he wrapped his arms around me crying into my shoulder.

After he calmed down I sat against my headboard and he lay beside me. His head was rested on my lap and I was running my fingers through his hair. I felt so sorry for him. Whos mother gets up and leaves her kids and cheats on her husband? Suddenly he sat up and wiped his eyes before looking at me. I looked at him softly, a small frown on my face when suddenly he cupped my face and kissed me. I was shocked at first but then kissed back. Electricity ran through my body and it felt like time stopped.

 Electricity ran through my body and it felt like time stopped

         Sadly no luck on getting my mum to get me a puppy :(

Please Vote

😊💓