Thirty-six

-lucas

I'm a mess, a living disaster if you ask me, , yesterday I got a text from Bella asking we meet, as late as it came I'm glad it did, honestly I'm happy she texted, I felt like our friendship was taking a strain but I'm glad she reached out, even my mother was thinking that I abandoned her, when I told her this morning that I'll be spending the day with her she was so excited, she even wants her to come over for dinner but I told her to wait for a bit, because let's be honest Bella is a stranger and I don't want to overwhelm her.

I'm five minutes away from the mall, a text from Bella comes through, I wait until I've entered the mall and park close to the entrance before I open her text, but instead it opens Rose's text

. :'I’m not giving up' it reads, honestly I don't know how to get it through her head that I'm done, I've been done with her since I foun-. Let's rather not waist out time with the thing of the past, she should just have accepted as I have.

Bella is already waiting for me at Milky way, a smile makes its way to my face, if this is what I think it is, then she's on the right track, I get there and find her lost in thought, looking outside, I get close to her and sit, I admired her face but, she hadn't realized that I'm here, whatever it is must be a big deal to zone out like this, she finds me smiling when she turns, and the beam on her face makes any crappy day seem like it's worth it.

"So... want to tell me what got you thinking this hard?"

 The smile on my face hasn't subcidiesed at all. She looks hesitant to speak at first but she brushes it off and put on a smile 

"It's nothing, how are you?"

"Mmm" is my only response, “let’s not get into it" 

"That bad?" She asks after I puffed out an exasperating sigh...how do I even begin to tell her about my dilemma, they say ignorance is bliss so, I'll take that.

I call out a waiter and they come take our orders, brownies and milkshake, our old-time favorites, we indulge in small conversation throughout ignoring the one thing we yearn to ask, or is it two? I don't know but I know I want to ask about Christmas and she about what happened yesterday and I'm not ready to talk about it so I guess we'll just pretended for now.

we just finished watching a new release from marvel, this feels like old times, we never missed a marvel movie, ever, we serious fans, the time is now three so we walking around until we get to the other side of the mall. it's a skate zone, she looks up at me and we both race to the skating shop, 

"Board or rollers?" She does that thing of her where her bottom lip shifts a bit to the left and she chews on it, that's what she does when she contemplating. She says board same time I say rollers. she laughs and we go for skateboards. I missed this, just she and I having fun with no stress in the world, but the time we leave we tired and famished 

"Mom asked you come for dinner" I find myself saying

"Gosh!! I miss her, how is she?" I guess that's a yes to the invention

"She's fine, she misses you though" 

I open the door for her but something catches my eye from the next parking, it's Rose, she's with another lady, she looks familiar but I don't know where I saw her, they both look up and see me, I can tell that's she's fuming, but I let it slide, I get in the car and drive out. Thirty minutes later   I'm driving in on our driveway.

"Mom I'm back" 

"I'm in the kitchen" she shouts back, yeah, that's my mother for you, she's ALWAYS in the kitchen, I'm sure she's baking or something. We make way to the kitchen, nope she doesn't see me at all, the moment her eyes look up she's already halfway through the kitchen and squashing Bella, you should have seen it, you'd laugh too.