Chapter Six: Check Ups

She clutched onto his hand tightly, his rings pressed up against her fingers roughly in a comforting way. He looked down at her to see her teeth digging into her bottom lip as her other hand twiddled with the necklace she wore. He pushed her lip from between her teeth knowing that she did it absentmindedly and could cause herself to bleed. The waiting room was empty- the air clean and heavy. Her feet went back to swaying back and forth and he wanted to pull her in his lap and comfort her. But for now, he rubbed small circles onto her back and whispered promises that she would be okay and she had nothing to worry about.

Today was her physical- she hadn't attended one in 2 years. She was still a minor, despite having graduated from high school at 16 because she skipped a grade. It pissed him off that even when she graduated in the top 5% of her class, her sister had made her stay home instead of go to college like she had wanted. Bella hadn't made an attempt to get her little sister back at which Damien was more than thankful for. It would be tough to make a defense for himself as to why he had a 17 year old girl living with him. 

Lily watched as her legs swung back and forth repeatedly, finding comfort in the cycle. She wanted nothing more than to be home and in Damien's arms. She stole a glance at the handsome man. Today he wore a black shirt and gray sweats, his big muscular arms stealing the show. He was the type of man who seemed so tough but she knew he was just a big panda who loved hugs. Her eyes lingered on his lips for a second too long and when she looked back up at him he was staring at her, eyebrows slightly raised with a slight smirk decorating his lips. 

"Lily Carmichael?" A nurse called. 

"Y-ye-yeah, t-that's me," her words come out a stuttered mess as she stood up and she felt like crying from embarrassment. 

"Sir, you can stay in the waiting room," the nurse offered as Damien rose to his full height. Lily looked at him with pleading eyes- he had promised to be with her the whole time. 

"No, I'll go in with her," he responded. She nodded hesitantly and led them to a room for the checkup.

"I'm Doctor Roberts, it's nice to see you both today. What's your name sir?"

"Damien Moretti," he replied, his eyes focused on Lily who was climbing onto the patient table with a little struggle. He smiled at his angel when she finally got herself settled to which she blushed.

After the usual procedures of measuring height and weight, taking blood pressure, and asking the usual long list of questions, the nurse looked Damien up and down. 

"Sir, I'm going to ask you to leave the room so I can talk with Lily, okay?" 

He knew she was going to ask Lily about her sexual activity and while Damien didn't care that she was inexperienced, he knew that she might get a bit confused. None the less, he stood up and waved to Lily. 

"I'll be right outside, okay? The nurse just wants to talk with you privately, nothing bad princess." 

Her eyes followed him as the door closed and she felt her heart beat speed up as she grew anxious to be away from him. He's just outside the door, be a big girl, She demanded herself. She knew it was what Damien would want her to do, so she mustered up the courage. 

"Okay, Lily, I just have to ask you a few questions, okay?" 

Lily nodded in response, too afraid that she wouldn't be able to form a logical sentence. She just wanted Damien back and she was confused why he couldn't be here.  

"Are you sexually active?"Doctor Roberts asked. Lily thought for a second and remembered when her Mama had told her that sex was what happened after 2 people loved each other very much and wanted to have a baby.