Chapter Seven: Proud

The physician walked in, unaware of the thick tension that hung in the air. 

"I'm Doctor Brewer but you can call me Sandra, nice to meet you both." 

The checkup continued, she checked Lily's breathing and heart beat, felt her back to make sure she didn't have scoliosis, and tested her reflexes. Damien worked on calming himself and his current not so little friend down. Just think of  hairy grandpa balls. 

Doctor Roberts walked in with a tray with a few syringes and the minute Lily saw them, her eyes widened like saucers and she dug her teeth into her quivering bottom lip. Be a big girl, make Damey proud. 

She closed her eyes, trying to focus on her breathing. She felt his strong arms wrap around her waist, and his lips against her forehead. 

"I'm so proud of you pretty girl. Only 2 more shots and then I'll bring you wherever you want to go?" He would let her pick no matter what, but he knew that bribing her with food always worked.

"W-will you hold my hand?" She whimpered. 

He engulfed her hand with his, almost laughing at how small her hands were. 

"O-okay I am r-ready,"she stuttered out, burying her face into Damiens shirt and squeezing his hand tight. 

Damien stroked her hair as the nurse quickly inserted the first shot into her arm, Lily wincing when she felt it prick her skin. 

"Such a brave girl hm? Only one more baby," Damien muttered softly. 

The nurse inserted the second shot and the minute she pulled the second needle out Lily felt the tears drip from her eyes and soak into Damiens shirt. 

"Good job baby, it's okay let it out. I'm so proud of my brave girl," he praised, rubbing her back slowly. 

"Okay, that's it Lily. It was great to see you if you ever have any questions or concerns feel free to book another appointment before your next physical. You can get changed back into your clothes and leave," Doctor Roberts said as she headed out of the room. 

"T-Thank you," Lily sniffled, rubbing her tears before waving to the nurse as she walked out. 

"See, that wasn't that bad," Damien said when she was gone. 

"My arm is sore already," Lily pouted. 

"I'm sorry baby, you want me to kiss it better?" 

Lily nodded, and he obliged. He knew Lily thought kisses made what she liked to call boo-boos heal faster. 

Lily stood up, arms out. Damien knew what she was implying, so he undid the ties in the back of her robe. He turned around the second all the ties were loose and listened to her pull her clothes back on. 

"Where do you want to go princess?" He asked. She wrapped her arms around him from behind and he almost laughed. She was so little compared to him. 

"C-can we go home? I wa-wanna cuddle with Poppy..." she trailed off, leaning her head against his back. 

"Wow, I see how it is. Is Poppy better at cuddling you than me?" He teased, pulling her to his front so he could gaze down at her cute face. 

"Mhm, as a m-matter of fact," Lily giggled. 

"Well I might have to have a talk with this Poppy. He can't be stealing my baby." 

"W-well what if I like Poppy better?" Lily said, jokingly. 

He couldn't help himself- his hand found its way to her neck. Damiens fingers were rough against her throat, yet gentle. He lowered his head next to hers.