1.Hot and Cold

You walk through the cavernous college hallway, the patter of your shoes echoing off the walls.

Today feels empty, every day feels empty. Your shoulders are heavy as you clutch your bag, and your legs seem to drag.

A classmate walks past you and gives a polite hello. You blink tiredly and continue on, not even glancing in their direction.

Eren hasn't been home in a week, but you don't know if you even care. You don't feel happy when you're around him, you don't look forward to seeing him anymore, it's like he's just become a fixed part of your mundane life.

No... like he's latched onto you like some kind of parasite, sucking the sun out of your days.

To no surprise the sky is overcast as you exit the building. You can't remember the last time you stepped outside to a sunny sky.

"Hey... wait up!"

"Huh?"

You turn around sluggishly to see Armin running up to you, how long had he been chasing you for?

He catches up, his voice haggard as he catches his breath, "Hey... huff... sorry just- can I borrow your notes from today's econ class? I had to skip it for something important."

"Oh... yeah, here." You dig into your bag and hand him your book.

"Thanks... by the way, are you okay? You always look really... tired these days."

His face suddenly widens and he nervously waves his hands, realizing he might have said something insensitive, "Oh, uh, sorry- I didn't think - sorry I just... I didn't mean it in an offensive way, I'm just concerned about you."

Something in your chest tightens, when was the last time you've felt cared about?

".... it's okay. And... I haven't seen Eren in a while, I'm not sure where he's been. He hasn't answered my texts or anything."

He frowns, you both know he wasn't talking about your demeanor this past week, but rather your overall mood this past year you've been dating Eren.

"Thanks for asking though... see you later Armin. Just hand the book back next time."

You leave before he can question any further.

~

The bathroom air is thick with steam as you step out of the shower, your hair dripping onto the tile.

Your hand reaches to rub the foggy mirror, your stone-cold face looking back at you.

Hm... maybe a face mask would help... no. I don't feel like it.

After rubbing and scrunching your hair in the towel some, you wrap it around your body and step out into the dimly lit living room of your apartment, breath instantly catching in your throat.

"Uh... Eren..."

He stands at the counter unpacking something from his bag, hair pulled back in a loose bun and the bags under his eyes suggesting he hasn't slept in a while. He doesn't bother looking at you.

"Hey..."

"Wh... where have you been?"

You step up to the counter, he still doesn't look at you, who knows what his mind is occupied with.

"I just went to see Zeke. Can you get out the rum for me?"

"Oh, sure..."

Absentmindedly, you walk to the liquor cabinet, pulling the half-full bottle of expensive rum out and placing it on the counter.