7. A New Night

Three years ago, you came home from school one day to find your father wasn't home, and your mother was crying.

What she told you changed everything. He was being arrested for aggravated assault on a woman.

To be honest, it did surprise you. But the more time went by the more it didn't surprise you. Ever since you were little he would get angry, maybe grab your mother, then storm off. You thought it was normal, he never hit you or anything.

You still loved your father and you knew he still loved you, but nothing would ever be the same.   You would visit him and talk to him on the phone, pretending like nothing happened as he asked about your day.

Three months ago, you finally got the courage to ask him what you had been wondering that whole time.

"Dad... why did you do it?"

And you cried as he said he did nothing wrong, that anyone who wants to yell at him and say rude things deserves to get their ass beat. Why did you never see that side of him? How did you not know? Everything started making sense. The nights of him yelling at mom, getting angry and breaking things, it wasn't normal. But you thought everything was fine because he would still say goodnight, he still said he loved you everyday.

You didn't call him again after that.

You remain frozen in your seat, unsure if what you just heard was real.

"Or, well... at least in the beginning. After that last call with your dad, I didn't have a good reason. I guess I just couldn't leave."

"Eren..."

Your glossy eyes are fixed on him, looking out the window. Is the Eren you fell in love with still in there? He really went through all that for you?

I just want to know how he's felt all this time.

Your hand covers your mouth as you try to hold back any waterworks, you've cried so much these past few weeks, and yet you still have a bank of tears.

"Eren... you shouldn't have done that for me. You... ah..."

Guilt pains your chest, it feels like this is all your fault. Everything started for your sake.

"This is... all my fau-"

"Tch, I did it on my own. Stop."

He's grumbling like he's annoyed, but maybe it's his way of being sincere. Suddenly, your heated one-way argument seems insignificant. You just want to put it behind you. You'll never forget, but for now you can forgive, you just want things to go back to normal.

You smile softly and hold his hand, heart trembling as he interlaces his fingers with yours, head still turned away.

"I'm sorry Eren... thank you."

"... stop apologizing." He grumbles.

His familiar stubbornness is almost refreshing during these confusing times.

"Mom visited earlier. We're... on good terms again."

"I know, I heard her voice when you two were talking."

His runs his hand through his hair and grabs his phone off the beside table, dimming the light before scrolling through it absent- mindedly.

"Do you think you could ever maybe... reconcile with her?"

"No." His eyes flick to you momentarily.

Your sigh is a tired one, "Ugh, come on. The whole argument was my fault anyways I just want you two to get along."