13. Who Are You Without Me

Ding!

The doorbell of the bakery sounds as another customer walks in, but it's just white noise amid your turbulent thoughts.

You thought you were done thinking about Eren's email, but the anxiety of what'll happen hasn't left your chest since.

Sasha and Niccolo are having a little engagement party later today, maybe that would be a good time to bring it up again. You need to know what Eren wants to do, but at the same time you'd feel bad pressing him for an answer.

Your movements have been autonomous in ringing customers up and doing the same 'thank you have a good day' farewell each time, you're thoughts halted when a familiar face appears at the register.

Historia's eyes briefly match your surprise, but she skips wasting time to pick something like customers usually do and points to the nearest food next to her.

She's wearing a long grey coat with a yellow scarf around her neck, you wonder if it's really that cold outside today.

"I'll... get this carrot cake please. And a regular latte with hazelnut syrup."

"Of course..."

What is she doing here?

Once the barista is finished making her latte you put the small cake in a box and slide both of the items across the narrow counter to her.

"That'll be $15.40 please."

"Right..."

She's quick to tap her debit card on the chip scanner, but she seems to linger as the payment is going through.

Your breath hitches as she looks up at you, brows furrowed, "Um... can I speak to you after your shift?"

"Wh..." you think about it, do you even want to hear what she has to say? Maybe it's an apology, or maybe she has a bone to pick with you.

"... Sure. I'm on break in twenty minutes, you can just wait a table outside if you want."

"Okay..."

She takes her latte and carrot cake, walking out of the bakery and sitting at a two-person table next to the window.

Your brush some flour off of your apron and walk out of the shop, cautiously sitting across from Historia who's still picking at the cake.

No one says anything for an awkward minute, but eventually Historia sighs and puts her fork down, looking up at you with somewhat softened eyes.

"I... I wanted to apologize for that incident at Jean's party. I was drunk, though it's not an excuse. Instead of making excuses I just wanna say that I'm sorry and I shouldn't have done and said those things."

You're visibly taken aback by her apology, you really thought she wasn't the kind of girl to be mature and civil.

"Oh... it's okay. I'm sorry too, I... shouldn't have thrown my drink on you-"

"And..." she buries her hands in her lap and looks away, "I still kind of like Eren... but I understand he only likes you. You're his girlfriend. I just thought I might have had chance after your friend told me you guys were going to break up, that it didn't really matter-"

Your heart drops.

"Wait what? What friend?"

"Oh, I think... her name is Mikasa."

~

You storm into Sasha and Niccolo's townhouse, vision painted red.

No part of your mind wants to believe Mikasa would try to sabotage your relationship, but the truth is she would. She'd do anything to split you apart.