16. Red Lipstick

⚠︎︎ Light tigger warning for the end of the chapter ⚠︎︎

You pull the pink peonies out of their wrapping and gently place them in a crystal vase, setting it on the windowsill.

Your mother's breath rises and falls shakily, but she tries to hide it.

The heavy feeling in your chest never leaves, it stays even as she smiles at you and speaks like nothing's wrong.

"Did something happen sweetie? You look more tired than usual."

I barely slept last night.

"I'm alright it's just... Eren is back. I ran into him at a bar yesterday and... he's actually doing really good. He... has a new girlfriend and everything."

"Ah, it's okay if it makes you sad, I understand how it feels to see someone you used to love move on. But... it's good he's doing better."

"Yeah, I guess. And... yesterday I visited dad."

Her eyes widen and her smile fades, waiting on your every word.

"He wanted me to tell you that... he's sorry. For everything."

She's still and silent for a while. The fan clicks softly on low speed as fresh air flows in through the window, and she stares out at the view.

Something lightens in your heart when she slowly smiles and closes her eyes.

"Well... he apologized. That makes me happy."

You sit in the car with Reiner, still thinking back to the visit with your mother. She's happy he apologized. But it looked like she meant so much more than that.

You wake from the flashback when you feel Reiner's hand on your thigh, "Hey, are you okay? You seem really out of it."

"Y... yeah. A lot's been going on lately that's all."

You two are on the way to Sasha's party, both dressed pretty well. Reiner's wearing a white button-up shirt with black sleek pants and an expensive silver watch. You have on a red satin mini cocktail dress with a little diamond necklace and diamond earrings, accompanied by red strappy heels. You couldn't forget the red lipstick, Eren's going to be here, and for some reason... you want to make him miss you.

I hate myself...

The car pulls up to the house in a suburban neighborhood, other cars parked along the street but not many.

Reiner gets out of the car and opens the door for you, helping you out.

"Thanks." You give him a soft peck on the cheek so you don't smear your lipstick.

Your heart hammers the closer you get to the door, but you don't hesitate to knock. You're wondering how Reiner and Eren will interact, Reiner said he would be fine but... knowing both of them there might be a bit of tension. Or maybe not, Eren's changed now.

The door is answered by Sasha, who immediately hugs you.

"Hey, y/n! Oo you smell nice!"

"Thanks ahah, I haven't been to your new place yet either. I like it."

"Thanks! It's a nice place to live out the married life. Hey Reiner how are you doing?"

Reiner smiles and nods politely, "I'm good yeah, thanks for having us."

"No problem big guy. Now come on, everyone's in the living room."

The house is a nice size, the walls are tan and floors are wood tile, like every other suburban house. But it feels uniquely like Sasha's home, with the cute food and animal themed decorations littered about.