4. Euphoria

The rumbling of fireworks drowns out as Eren rubs the back of his neck and blushes, you knew it was coming. You had waited for so long to hear someone say it to you. Your heart could grow wings and flutter away at this point.

"Uh, I don't really know how to do this sorta thing but... hah." He laughs nervously and smiles up at you, features warm and genuine.

It really is just like that day.

"I lov-"

BAM!

A blinding light envelopes your field of vision, fading away to reveal it wasn't real.

The fair grounds are empty, dark, desolate. Trash blows across the ground sadly, the abandoned stalls and rides begging for mirth.

"Eren!"

You call out for him, but no answer.

A poster falls from the sky like a leaf in the wind, and you catch it.

"It's too late"

You let it fall.

"It's too late..."

Shadows whisper to you from all directions, the wind growing colder and your world getting darker. You can't breathe, the pressure of it all bares down on you.

You can't scream, you can't move, your heart won't stop pounding-

"Hhh!..."

You lurch up in bed, sweating profusely, heart still pounding.

Gah... it was just a dream...

Your heart stills as you turn and see Eren's sleeping form next to you. He's still here. Your hand involuntarily reaches out to him, but you pull it back.

The overcast morning light streams in through the curtains, it's raining considerably today. But it's peaceful... tranquil.

But the familiar pressure and sickness of a hangover don't leave your stomach, in fact, it worsens.

Quickly you jump out of bed and run to the bathroom, doubling over the toilet. You lurch and make unsettling noises as you hurl violently, Connie's home brew vodka set you up for this.

"Haa... Huff..."

You set your back against the wall for support, catching your breath and trying to steady your pounding head at the same time. Vodka always does you the worst.

Your bare feet patter on the creaky wooden tile as you go back to the bedroom to grab your phone, slowly making your way to the balcony.

The cool humid air comforts you as you inhale from the cigarette, the smoke bringing your mind comfort.

Honk!

The tranquil of the morning isn't lost by the single honk of a car, strangely quiet amid the silence. Maybe you got back into smoking for mornings like this

From Mikasa

You read the notification on your screen, she must have texted you on Snapchat after the party last night.

You open it:

Mikasa
Are you okay? I think you need to leave Eren y/n, if you ever do decide to or you get in a fight with him you can stay with me. Your relationship is toxic.

A tear falls down your cheek as you hold more back bitterly.

"*sniffle*... ha..."

Your tired lungs shakily inhale smoke from the cigarette and exhale, holding your hand to your head as you hold yourself and lean forward, silent sobs racking your shoulders.