6. Deceit & Honesty

Mindless chatter blurs in the background as you drag your feet through the campus, too many thoughts on your mind.

Eren hasn't been back since he left early yesterday, and the ever-looming fear of the stalker plagued your school commute. You ran all the way here like you were being chased by a pack of lions.

And if that wasn't enough, all the running, anxiety, and old leftovers for breakfast are cause for the nausea in your stomach.

Today has not been a good day.

"Y/n.... y/n?"

"Huh?"

You blink form your trance, turning to be greeted by Armin who waves his hand in your face.

"Are you okay? You seem really spaced out."

I think Eren ran away again.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just didn't get a lot of sleep."

"Oh, well I've got half a cup of coffee left if you want it?"

He holds the cup up and shakes it, but you're not in the mood to stomach anything.

"No thanks, I'll be alright."

"If you say so."

You two walk in a comfortable silence. The request from the girl named Marie lingers amid your rampant thoughts, the whole subject of your passion for song writing weighs heavy on your chest.

Are you happy with your life outside of your relationship? You don't really think so.

"... I think I want to change my major."

He turns to you suddenly, a bit surprised, "R... really? How come?"

"You know how I used to write songs for some money on the side? Well I got a request recently and it got me thinking about... how much I miss it. If I changed to a creative writing or music major then I could become a professional song writer."

He smiles, "I think if it's what you're passionate about you should pursue it."

"I should?"

"Yeah, we don't have a lot of time on this earth, so we should spend our lives doing something we're proud of, that brings us happiness. Sure it might set you back to change majors, and it'll be a bit tough money-wise, but I think it'd be worth it. Honestly..."

His eyebrows crease in sympathy, "I think you could use something that'd make you happy."

"Armin..."

He's always been such a kind and sincere person, it doesn't make sense how he's Eren's best friend.

"Thank you..."

"By the way..."

He turns away, hesitant to ask.

"Have you spoken to your father recently?"

You sigh, it's been a while. You never talk about your dad, it's a complicated subject. You don't even like to think about it.

"No, there's just been a lot happening lately. I just haven't had the time."

"Oh, do you... mean the stalker situation? Sorry, Mikasa told-"

Flashbacks of last night, the letters, being followed, return in an instant. The sickness in your stomach finally pushes its way to your throat, and you run towards the nearest bin.

"Y/n!"

"HURGGHH!"

The bile spews out, quickly. You feel only a fraction better now that it's gone, but you're still left with shaky hands and heavy breathing.