26. One Last Time

You turn the tap off, looking up at your reflection in the mirror.

It's finally your birthday party, people will start arriving soon. You didn't really want a party, but you figured you might as well after the couple months everyone's had.

The makeup you put on today was simple, just some concealer, mascara and rose tinted lip gloss. You decided to wear a mauve pink short corset dress, and even though pink isn't usually your color it pairs well with your pointy-tipped crimson velvet heels and gold accessories. Despite the well put-together outfit you're having trouble deciding what to do with your hair. You decided to wear it curly today, but something still feels... off.

What if I straightened it? Or... I could braid it- ugh, nevermind. This is fine.

You've never been this concerned with your outfits before, could it be because Eren would be showing up? Or maybe he wouldn't come at all. Why would he after you broke his heart like that?

Of course you feel guilty, of course it wrenches at your chest like someone's grabbed your heart and twisted it, but you know it's for the best... probably.

"Ugh."

You lean onto the counter and sigh stressfully. Every single second after that night you've been regretting the things you said and not saying the things you wanted to, and you've been sleeplessly pondering what if. Nothing is set straight in your head.

Knock knock

"Y/n, are you done getting ready? All the decorations are set up!"

Mikasa's voice outside calms your swirling thoughts. You should focus on having fun. It's your birthday anyways.

You step out of the bathroom into living room, eyes scanning the Valentine's Day colored streamers and decorations.

"Wow, this really good, thanks so much guys."

Jean steps off his ladder and grabs his brown leather jacket off of the back of the couch, "Anything for the birthday girl! Anyways, did Mikasa give you the-"

"No! Doing that now Jean..." Mikasa hastily shushes him and grabs a flat gift box on the counter, wrapped in gold and white paper and string.

"I hope you like the gift, it took me a while to make it... happy birthday."

She smiles warmly at you as you take the present and slowly open it, you gasp when you see it.

Mikasa took the time to make a hand-painted recreation of the first photo you and her took together. It's more heartwarming than you could ever put into words.

"I... this is... awe... thank you Mikasa, this is the best birthday present I've ever gotten."

Immediately you embrace her, and you can feel her smiling on your shoulder.

"I'm your best friend, I'm always going to give you the most sincere birthday presents."

You break away, clutching the portrait to your chest, "I'll hang it on the wall over there tomorrow, where everyone can see it."

You're truly grateful for Mikasa, the truest friend you've ever had. One day, you'll get the opportunity to give back all the things she's ever done for you.

Everyone comes surprisingly on time, and the party has kicked off in no time.

Historia holds out a cutely-wrapped gift box of luxurious bath items, makeup and candy.