9. The Weight of Consequences

The clinking of cutlery and food being consumed fills the silence of Mikasa's apartment. It's a still morning, but your head is swimming with hazy thoughts.

More than anything, you feel sick and miserable at the idea that you could be pregnant. It's the only thing on your mind, you have no idea what to do.

The cereal is stale and soggy as you slowly shovel it into your mouth.

Maybe Mikasa would know what to do, she is your best friend after all.

Your stomach churns and your breathing hastens unnoticeably, it's a hard thing to say out loud.

"... I might be pregnant."

CLANK!

Mikasa audibly drops her fork, a horrified look etched onto her features as her hand remains frozen midair.

Her breath shudders as her face grows more disgusted and angry, "W-wha... no. No."

You nervously turn away, having provoked a reaction worse than expected.

"W-well I don't know for s-"

"You're taking a fucking test y/n. There's... there's no way."

Da-dum

Your hands shake at the thought of taking a test, knowing it might confirm your fears. You don't want to.

Mikasa doesn't care for your hesitation. Her chair flies out from under the table as she violently stands up, grabbing your arm in a manic daze of her own.

"We're going to the pharmacy and getting tests, and then we're going to come back and it's going to be negative."

You don't resist as she pulls you up.

The pharmacy trip took three seconds, and now you sit atop the toilet waiting for the results. Your hands shake in tandem with your breathing, what the fuck are you going to do if...

You just can't imagine this turning into a good situation, not at all. Just when you're getting your life together, this happens. But you don't know yet, though you don't want to know.

Da-dum

You reach out to the tests with quivering hands, reluctant to see the results.

You slowly step out of the bathroom, Mikasa looking up at you dying to know the answer.

"... Well?"

Cold tears run down your cheek.

"I-I'm p-"

"No! Don't say it... no...."

You hold your hand up to your mouth and clench your eyes shut, more tears spilling out.

Mikasa looks even more horrified and angry, after all the trouble she's gone through to persuade you to leave Eren, you turn out to be pregnant with his kid. It's almost like a sick joke.

You feel bad for thinking it, but you don't want the baby. You sincerely can't imagine yourself being a mother, raising a child while you're stuck in a place like this. You could almost laugh at the brutality of it, who even wants to be born into a world like this anyways?

Mikasa takes both your hands in hers, her empty eyes narrow in determination, "Jesus, how could you be so careless?! I thought you were smarter than that! Y/n, I'm sorry but you need to get an abor-"

"Mikasa!"

She flinches, softening in instant regret.

"S-sorry..."