27. It'll Always Be You

You sit down at the table next to the window with the street view. Why would you come to the tea shop on your day off? Maybe it feels comforting being around Levi with all his wise advice and quips, despite his general grumpiness.

You absentmindedly sip on the fruity tea in your cup, emptily pondering on your sadness.

You let him go again. Why did you do that? It's best for him, he has an entire career he's built in Shiganshina, and deep down you're terrified of ruining it.

You're scared of yourself - scared of who people become when they're around you. Eren slowly lost himself when he was with you, and even if it wasn't entirely your fault you can't help but feel like you scarred him.

Did he always love you? When you two were going through that rough phase did he even love you then?  There was no love felt from him, only a toxic co-dependence and it's traumatized you in a way.

The one thing you fear most is going back to that dark place with him. You want to be happy. And you want him to be happy. But you will never know if that's possible since the majority of your relationship was spent hating each other.

You blink out of your trance as Levi slides into the chair next to you, another employee manning the counting.

"Happy birthday kiddo." He slides you a fancy chocolate bar with a ribbon tied around it.

"Hah, how did you know I like chocolate?"

"I didn't."

You chuckle softly and turn back to your tea, smile fading.

Levi sighs next to you, "Why do you look so sad?"

"E... Eren's leaving today. It feels like... I'm just letting him walk away again. Not that he has any obligation to stay..."

"Then why don't you just chase after him?"

"We shouldn't be together."

"Why not?"

You turn to Levi with a frown, as if the answer was obvious. "It was so unhealthy."

He closes his eyes as he takes a sip of the black tea the employee dropped off, "You and him are different people now right? You're doing better in life? I think that after all this time and growth, if you don't look back and say you should've have hated him or left a long time ago or something like that... it wasn't him that was necessarily the problem. I say if your heart's telling you not to let him go then don't. Make him stay and start over."

You stare in realization. Levi's right. Putting your fears and anxieties aside, you and Eren could totally work now. You don't have to worry about money, he isn't dealing in shady things, and you're finally happy with what you're doing.

You want him back, and he wants you back, so what's stopping you?

You quickly stand up from your chair "His plane leaves in an hour."

"Better run then."

"But... how am I supposed to get past airport security? He's probably at his gate now."

He looks at you for a split second, then sighs in annoyance and stands up with you.

"I can get you past. I'll come with you."

You remember just then that Levi used to be in the military before he started teaching. You aren't entirely sure what rank he had or if he still has the authority to skip airport security, but you'll trust him.

"Right. Thank you."

You and Levi rush into your car, and you drive without a single sense of caution.