Chapter Thirteen

I slowly walk to one of my favorite parts of the palace. My parents allowed my brother and I to have our own little world away from our rooms. We're each allowed to fill it with whatever we wanted. Very few people know that we have such a place and even fewer know where they are. My parents wanted us to express ourselves and be creative.

It's hard to imagine what we possibly could need that requires an entire room. It took me a while to figure out what I could possibly put in my special place that I couldn't put in my room. It was only within the last few years that I realized privacy is a good thing.  I have learned that even more since I have began to share a room with Flynn.

I've never shown Flynn, my cousins, or even my brother this room. I've never seen Charles' equivalent of the room. I imagine, though, that his is a total disaster with the floor cover by whatever it is that a thirteen year-old boy would require. The only thing you can probably get to is the couch. I approach the large, oak door and wrap my hand around the polished, golden door handle. I open it and slide right into my own little world.

The walls are painted a light shade of pink. There is a piano and violin in one of the corners with a bookcase filled with sheet music. In another corner, there a several bookcases filled with my favorite books. Most of the books have miniature sticky notes peaking out suggesting that there is something important on that certain page or certain quotes highlighted. Several even have taped spines. There is also a large bay window that is occupied by a pink mattress covered with pastel pillows.

I walk over to the piano. It's been a long time since I've practiced playing either of the instruments. It might have even been since before the selection began but part of me has been summoned to come practice my creative outlet. I pull a sheet of blank sheet music out of the bench and place it in front of me. My fingers find their spots on the keyboard and before I know it, they've began hitting note to create a beautiful melody and I already know the words that go along with it.

"If I was not myself
And you were someone else
I'd say so much to you
And I would tell the truth
'Cause I can hardly breathe

"When your hands let go of me
The ice is thinning out
And my feet brace themselves

"I'm there in the water
Still looking for ya
I'm there in the water
Can't you see, can't you see?

"You've seen this all before
Life left on the shore
We're smiling all the same
You sail away again

"I'm there in the water
Still looking for ya
I'm there in the water
Can't you see, can't you see?

"Oh yeah
I'm dead in the water
Still looking for ya
I'm dead in the water
Can't you see, can't you see?

"I'm dead in the water
Still looking for ya
I'm dead in the water
Can't you see, can't you see?"

I'm shocked when I look up at the clock on the wall. I have been here for two hours, tops. The words just seemed to flow out of me like they had been in my mind all along; like they were the words that just needed to be spoken.

A blaring alarm is quick to take me out of my musical trance. I jump up, causing the bench to fall backwards, crashing onto the floor with a loud roar. I look up but no guards or maids are rushing into the room. I have never been in this room during a rebel attack some I am not sure of where the door to the safe room is. I briskly run out the door, eager to get away

I run down the hallway, seeing no signs of safe room doors anywhere. I make it to the steps to the third floor and began to climb down them. At first, I manage a decent pace, but about halfway down, I, like usual, trip and tumble down the stairs. I land at the bottom with a throbbing pain in my right ankle much worse than all the other time I have strained it. I look to both sides to see if anyone is coming. Luckily, I see someone's figure racing towards me. As I pull myself up, I pray that they aren't a rebel. As the figure approaches, I see a familiar face framed with dark hair.

"Celia? What happened?" Coen asks as he approaches. I nod towards the stairs behind me. I try to put some weight on my ankle but instead of any possible success, it sends pain rushing up through my body and I release a little yelp.

"I was trying to hurry to a safe room and fell down the steps," I mumble. He nods and puts his arm around my waist. I immediately tense up. Everything around us disappears as I worry that this is a sign of affection, not him trying to aid me. "What are you doing?" I ask, jumping back a little.

"I was going to help you down to a safe room. Is there something wrong?" he asks, his eyebrows joining in confusion. I sigh a little in relief and shake my head. I put my right arm around his back and nod down the hallway a little.

"Not at all. There is a hallway to one the royal safe rooms down that way," I say. He nods a little and we begin walking towards where I pointed. It takes us several minutes to get about halfway, each step I take being accompanied by a little wince.

"Celia, we're running out of time. We don't have very many options left," he says. I immediately know what he is trying to suggest. Despite not liking the idea, I nod a little.

"Okay. Go ahead," I say. He nods and puts one arm behind my back while the other locates itself behind my knees. I wrap my arms around his neck, only letting go when I have to help him open the door to the steps. He rushes down them and before I know it, I see a figure pacing in front of a small light.

Flynn runs to meet us as soon he sees us making our way down the steps. His eyes are covered with what seems to be jealousy but the look immediately clears away when he sees my ankle that is beginning to turn an ugly shade of purple already, suggesting a serious injury. He takes me out of Coen's arms and ignores his brother completely.

"Celia, what happened?" he questions as he carries me into the room. My parents turn away from where they are chatting with a worried looking Quinn and towards me. They quickly hurry over to where Flynn is setting me on an army green cot. The door is closed after Flynn, Coen, and I come in.

"I was upstairs and I was running down the steps and I tripped, like usual, but this time I think it might actually be broken," I say. My parents both take one of my hands and squeeze them. All three mumble things about how it will be okay and that I can see the doctor the moment this is all over but all I really notice is Flynn glaring at Coen.

Guys, I am soooooooo sorry how long it has been since I last updated. I just have been really busy with school and homework and my birthday was over the weekend so I just haven't had time to update as much as much as usual. D: But, can y'all see the next story line folding out? Please comment and vote!

The song used was Dead in the Water by Ellie Goulding. Some of you might be familiar with it because it is from Divergent. I kind of think this song fits Flynn and Celia's current relationship perfectly since they are on thin water.

Some of you might be curious about the picture that is on the side, at the beginning of the chapter, or wherever depending on what you are using to read this. It was a quiz I took (And I don't have the link anymore. Sorry. :() about what Disney name you should give your child. I got really excited because it was Flynn and Flynn happened to be the name of one of the characters... I get really excited over nothing.

Disclaimer: The talented Kiera Cass owns The Selection. She has more talent in her little pinky than I do in my entire body so I definitely don't have enough talent to own The Selection.