Chapter Six

"Celia!" a voice behind me squeals. I turn around to see Natalia, Nicoletta's daughter, running towards me. She wraps her arms around me as she approaches. She has beautiful golden, tanned skin that highlights her green eyes and dark hair wonderfully. She is 18, as well, meaning she is soon to wed to keep her family on the royal throne. Natalia is also a clutz like me at times, making us an instant pair when our families are together.

"Natalia! How have you been?" I ask. She smiles her full, red lips at me. She bats her eyes at me like one would do when they are trying to flirt. Her eyes, though, become a little softer as she seems to be remembering something in her mind.

"Wonderful! The man my father has arranged for me to marry is so dreamy! I've hardly talked to him but he is very handsome," she says. We both giggle as we walk over to the bench. She seems to like him even though she did not pick him. I guess she is being forced to like a forced marriage, so why not find the positive things in it?

"So, you are okay with marrying him?" I ask. Her smile becomes a little duller but it is still there, lighting up the little patch of hallway we are in. She just kind of shrugs.

"I guess. This marriage is inevitable. He is 24. My father works with his father so it really is going to happen," she says. Her eyes seem to light up a little more all of a sudden and her smile grows a little more if that is even possible. "How have you been?" she asks. I shake my head and laugh.

"Are you asking about how it's been with Flynn?" I ask. She nods and I laugh. This seems like something my cousins would ask, exactly why they love each when Natalia's family visits. "He's wonderful. I really like him. You should get to meet him later at the reception," I say. She giggles.

"I look forward to it," she says. I laugh as she wiggles her eyebrows, something Astra does, too. I really have a thing about becoming close friends with nutcases. "Is he a good kisser?" she asks out of nowhere. I immediately begin to laugh, not sure how to respond.

"I guess so, out of the four men I've kissed before," I say. She opens her mouth to say something else but I already have the answer. "And no we haven't done it yet," I say. She giggle a little as I stand up. "I'll see you later. I have to go finish up the last minute arrangements for the reception," I say.

§§§

"All of the flowers are in the right spot, refreshments all here, the classical band is ready. I think we can begin," I tell my mother. She smiles and gives me a hug. She walks over to one of he tables and removes a beautiful necklace from a small box. The silver necklace has a few gems in it but they are not extremely obvious. She puts it around my neck. When she moves back, she smiles.

"I wanted you to have this. Kriss and I wore these when we planned our reception during the selection. Ironically, it was also for the Italians. It was my first reception. I want you to have for yours," my mother says. Her smile is pure happiness. I return it.

"Thank you," I say. She plants a kiss on my forehead before stepping away towards the door.

"Open it. We're ready," she says to the guards at the doors. One of them nods and they open the doors, revealing the faces of the Italian women. Nicoletta is the lead of the group, her smile as bright as my mothers. She walks over to where my mother is standing and embraces her.

"Absolutely wonderful, darling," a high pitched, nasally voice says behind me. I tense up as my eyes widen. I quickly wipe the expression off my face and place a smile on my face. I turn around to see, I would never would have guessed, my cousins.

"As funny as that is, you can't do it right now," I say. Astra rolls her eyes.

"Seriously, Celia? The Italian women would know I'm joking," Astra says. I shake my head and motion to where a group of new women are gathered.