Chapter Three

"Celia, it isn't that hard. You need to get this straight. You are making huge mistakes. This is worse than Elise, Natalie, and Celeste's reception," my mother says, referring to what I've planned for the Italian Monarchy. My mother and Queen Nicoletta have kept a close relationship. Nicoletta has agreed to let help my mother with my training so they came up with a list of random things I have to design in a certain amount of time.

"Well, I'm sorry that I'm still working with this. This is the one thing you never let me help you with," I say. I turn the papers she was examining back around to where I can see them. She has scratched all of the black ink I added with a red pen. All of my previous work can no longer be seen. the types of flowers and colors of fabric now a mystery.

"Celia, this was your third try! You need to keep working! Go back and reread the notes and what things symbolize. This isn't going to get easier if you don't try harder," my mother says. I moan and rub my temples. All of this has caused a massive headache. My brain is screaming Make it stop! Make it stop! but I just keep on taking notes. I point to the notes about fabric colors. It has notes about how the colors should not be dark, it resembles grief and the loss of something.

"Okay, well, I did read it. What should I do about fabric? I've put white down each time but you mark it wrong," I say. My mother points to another note. It states that pastel colors resemble friendship but they find too large of a variety to be too bold, which does not make any sense in my mind.

"You need to incorporate color into this. You want it to be open and friendly. You don't want it too be to dull by having just a variety of gray, black, and white. You don't want for it too be too exciting with multiple colors. You need to pick three or four strong colors," she says. She picks through the stack of papers for a list of colors and what they resemble. How purple resembles royalty and intelligence. Gold represents generosity and giving. Blue is trustworthy and intelligence.

"So, I would use shades of purple, blue, and gold that aren't extemely bold but not extremely light," I say. She nods with a pleased look. She pulls out another papers and points at a spot for me to write it down. I scribble it down in blck ink, careful not to smear it with the light pink sleeves of my dress.

"That's correct. You need to pay attention to details. Next, you need to decided on the type of flowers. Then, pick how you want the flowers and fabrics to be arranged so they don't clad or look tacky," my mother says. I nod and start look through images of flowers in every color in multiple types of arrangements.

§§§

I sit at my desk, writing notes about flower arrangements I can hardly read. The notes overlap so I can't tell if one of the notes read primroses on tables or prim rode on table. I lean back in the chair and rub my temples. I've been planning this thing since 8 o'clock this morning, only stopping to eat lunch. I ate dinner here while looking through flower arrangements, something I've been doing for the last six hours after I left my mother after our afternoon lesson.

Deciding I've learned enough about the types of flowers I want for now, I flip to a menu of types of the foods the chef can cook. The list said finger foods but nothing too common. The bedroom door opens behind me and I can hear footsteps come deeper into the room until they stop next to me.

"Ordering a late night snack?" Flynn asks. I look up at him and away from the list of numerous cookies, finger sandwiches, and hors d'oeuvres. I look at him. He has a grin on his face, the complete opposite of my tired one.

"What?" I ask. He looks over at the clock on his nightstand. 9:34 is wrote out digitally in lines. I moan, not realizing how late I've worked.

"I figured you were ordering a late night snack since you weren't at dinner. Have you ate anything?" He asks. I nod.

"Yes. One of the maids brought it up to our room since I've been working on this all day," I say. He nods and sits down across from me. He flips the paper around and reads some of my notes.

"Daisy rang on the wall?" Flynn asks. I spin the paper around and shake my head.

"Daisy arrangements on the wall. This thing is going to be the death of me. My mother is making this so complicated. I understand that I need practice but isn't like a little party is going to decide if we're allies or not. That's up to you and my father," I say. He laughs and nod.

"I'm glad you're working so hard on this. And be careful about cookies. They're too mainstream so you need to pick something fancier," he says. I give a death glare quickly before crossing out my notes. After doing so, I give him a look that says 'explanation please.' He nods before saying, "We had simple cookies at the parties I was invited to. And that the parties with the unprivileged people of the nation."

"Thank you. Do you think you'll be able to make it?" I ask. He nods and takes my hands in his. He gives them a comforting squeeze before running circles on the backs.

"I will be there," he promises.

I doubt this is as long as the other chapters. I was just trying to update really fast. I didn't even edit that great so I could post it a couple minutes earlier. Please comment and vote!

The cover at the beginning of the chapter was made by

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not.