Chapter Thirty One

I curl up on my bed with a book I've read a thousand times in my hand. I have an unnecessary blanket pulled over my lap and the only light in the room comes in from the windows. It is days like this-the days when I need to think-that I enjoy the simplicity of my room.

It would hurt Flynn if he knew that I was keeping something as silly as a kiss away from him. Really, I'm just trying to protect myself, I suppose. I feel as if I told him the truth, it would make it more real, like everyone would automatically know that for just a few seconds I was unfaithful to my husband, even if it was not my fault.

The door swings open and Flynn walks in. He moves over to the bed and flops back on the bed. He closes his eyes and does not move. So I just sit there and stare at him. After a more than just a few minutes, he still has not moved so I reach over to make sure he has not died.

When I touch his arm, his eyes shoot open and a smile spreads across his face. "I was wondering how long it would take you to do that. I felt like you were some type of stalker," he says.

"How long it would take me to do what?" I ask. He laughs and moves up next to me on the couch. He slides under my blanket and gets comfortable.

"To make sure I was still alive," he replies. I giggle and shake my head, which slides under Flynn's chin when it's done. We lay there in silence for a few minutes. The only movements are the rise and falls over our chests. "Can I tell you something?" Flynn asks. I nod. "I am glad Easter is over," he says. I giggle.

"I am, too. As much as I love the festivities of the palace it definitely gets old quick," I say. He nods. For someone who hasn't lived in the palace all their life, any and all holiday celebrations probably seem to extravagant. Sometimes, I feel the same. As much as I love the egg hunts and the ball, I was glad when I was finally left alone a few days ago.

"They do. We never did anything like that back in my hometown," Flynn says. I nod and the silence settles over us again. "Celia, I feel like I need to tell you more about my history. . . And more specifically Samantha," he says. I shake my head.

"Flynn, don't there's no need in telling me about stuff that happened long ago," I respond. Flynn pulls away and holds me out at arm length so he can stare into my face.

"Celia, we almost didn't end up together because I kept what happened between us a secret. I want to confess everything to you," Flynn says.

"Okay. Go ahead," I whisper. I give him an encouraging smile.

"Well, for some reason I want to start by saying she was beautiful," he says. That sentence right there seems like a kick to the chest. It must have shown on my face because Flynn smiles and shakes his head. "She was no Princess Celia Ann Shreave Stephens, that is for sure, but she had long, blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes," he quickly describes.

"We both moved to Clermont around the same time, which was around the time that I was five. My family had just purchased a farm and her family had just purchased the large mansion just down the street. We had grown up beside each other. The only children close were her and her siblings plus me and mine," Flynn explains. I nod.

"As we got older, I guess we started having feeling for one another and so we started dating. When her siblings found out, they were upset but didn't do anything but warn that her parents would be upset if that found out.

"So, we kept it a secret. We snuck out and met in the middle of the night. We often met at her house where we should would let me practice playing the piano. Her parents just thought it was her, trying to perfect some difficult piece.

"Until one day, she had me practice something really hard and her parents came in to congratulate her. They walked in just in time to see us kiss. They were outraged and threatened to call the police to say that I was forcing her to do it," he says. I can't help but let out a little gasp here.

"Her parents were really unhappy about it. They didn't care how much either of us begged for them to allow us to see one another. Then, one of the wealthy guys who lived closer to town came and asked Samantha's parents for her hand in marriage," he says. I gasp again, able to finish his story.

"And they forced her to marry him?" I ask. He nods and a pained look crosses his face. It hurts me to see it. "Thank you for telling me," I say. He nods.

"I guess, I just needed you to know that," he says. I nod and stair down at my hands crossed on the blanket. While his story was supposed to help and bring some truth between us, I can't help but feel like I am his second best, like he had to settle for me instead of his first love.

"Celia, you know, I'm glad that they forced her to marry him, right?" he says. I look up at him through my eyelashes. "Because, if they hadn't, I never would have signed up for the selection and found the love of my life," he says. I give him a weak smile.

"Thank you," I whisper. He responds by giving me a kind smile and placing his lips on mine. Like always, his kiss tastes sweet and is full of passion.

When we pull apart, he whispers, "I love you, Princess Celia." I smile.

"I love you, as well, Prince Flynn," I respond. We sit there for several more moments before he gets up and says he must return to his work with my mother. I nod and allow him to leave me alone.

Him telling the truth was very unexpected. Especially since it was over nothing that had been brought up since we were married. I know what he means, though, about the truth needing to be told and that is why I am going to tell him the truth. Soon.

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooh!!!! Celia gonna tell da truth!... Um, I couldn't remember if I ever fully explained the whole Sam thing so I felt the need to do that so I did... This took way too long to write but I will updating much more now because there are only five days of school left... I might have gone ahead and wrote the next next chapter so it will be posted soon! Please comment and vote!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass has all the those legal rights that no one understands but basically says she owns The Selections and not me.