Chapter Thirty Five

I take a sip of water and keep an eye on Flynn. While he is next to me and we are expected to at least hold small talk, neither of us do that. Flynn asks to be excused and I quickly do the same. His eyebrows arch in a questioning way but he doesn't say anything as I follow him out of the room.

"Flynn, I need to talk to you," I say once the door is closed behind us. He nods and then motions for me to lead the way. I begin leading him upstairs and we make it all the way to my special place in silence. I sit down at the piano bench and nod for him to sit next to me. He sits with his back to the keys so he is watching the door.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" he asks. I bite my lips and stare at the keyboard in front of me. I slide the copies of sheet music on top over to me. I place one in the spot for the sheets and I hand the other to Flynn.

"It's not exactly words. It's a song. It's what I need to tell you only in the form of music. . . Just sing the parts that are highlighted," I say. He stares into my eyes in a questioning way. Only this time, it isn't like he is curious about what mystery I'm folding out in front of him. He looks more like he is questioning — no, concerned by — what is going on in my mind.

My fingers find the keys on the keyboard and for a few seconds that almost feel like hours I don't move. A ton of what if's go through my mind about whether or not I should do this. Then, my fingers begin to move and the sounds from the papers in front of me move out through the room.

"I gotta say what's on my mind

Something about us

Doesn't seem right these days

Life keeps gettin in the way

Whenever we try, somehow the plan

Is always rearranged

It's so hard to say

But I've gotta do what's best for me

You'll be ok...

I've got to move on and be who I am

I just don't belong here

I hope you understand

We might find our place in this

World someday

But at least for now

I gotta go my own way

Don't wanna leave it all behind

But I get my hopes up

And I watch them fall every time

Another color turns to gray

And it's just too hard to watch it all

Slowly fade away

I'm leaving today 'cause I

Gotta do what's best for me

You'll be ok...

I've got to move on and be who I am

I just don't belong here

I hope you understand

We might find our place in this

World someday

But at least for now

I gotta go my own way"

I sing all of this while keeping my attention on the keys. I don't bother to look at the sheet music in front of me. It is already engraved in my mind. I don't attempt to look at Flynn either, but I can feel his gaze on me the entire time. When I'm done, I look away from the keys and at him. He looks down at the sheet music in front of him.