Chapter Sixteen

A knock sounds on my door. I look up from my book and stare at the wooden slab like it should automatically open or tell me who is on the other side. With a slight moan, I mark my place with a pink bookmark and lay it on my bed. I stand up from the bed, slide my shoes on, get stable on my crutches, and walk to the door. As I open it, an eager looking maid's frame comes into view.

"Um, Princess Celia, King Maxon needs you to come to a meeting now. He claims that there is an emergency," she says. I tilt my head a little to the right like Emily's dog does when he is trying to focus on one thing. What could possibly be so important that he needs me to come to an urgent meeting? Has something happened to a member of our family?

"Did he happen to mention what happened? Is there something going on with our family?" I ask, arching my eyebrows a little for effect. The maid shakes her head and points down the hallway towards the other bedrooms and the main staircase to the third floor.

"No, ma'am. He just said he needed you, Prince Flynn, and Queen America," she states. I nod and try to give her a warm smile but I get the feeling it looks forced, like I don't mean it. If my father didn't call for Charles it probably is not related to an issue with my family. It could possibly be Flynn's family although I believe he would ask for Teegan, Quinn, and Coen.

I thank the maid and begin walking down the hallway, hop down the stairs due to inability to walk normally, and down another hallway. My mind can't help but ponder what is going on. The only logical thing what be rebels in the country or some other country coming to visit us. Before I realize it, I have already reached the door. I open it to find a bunch of the men on my father's board, my parents, and Flynn all sitting in an uncomfortable silnce. I slide into the emptry seat between my mother and Flynn, a butler quickly at my side to take the crutches and help me sit down.

"What's going on?" I whisper to my mother. She gives me a worried expression and mouths I don't know. He won't tell me. I nod and feel a hand grab my left hand. I look over to see Flynn give it a gentle squeeze that seems to almost soften my nerves instantly. I return the squeeze and he seems to become more somfortable as well, although I'm not sure ihe is worried so much about the sudden meeting as the possibility of being put on the spot in front of everyone.

"Thank you all for attending so quickly. We have recieved some very. . . significant news from New Asia," he says. The eary silence is quickly replaced with an uproar of whispers. In a matter of seconds, every men on the board has leaned over to someone, exchanging whispers without listening to the others.

"Um, excuse me! King Maxon was talking!" Flynn announces. All of the chairmen look at him with shocked faces, that, honestly, I am surprised I don't have on my face. I know I don't, though, because I feel a pride in my husband for coming out of his comfort zone. My father directs a quick nod in Flynn's direction. Flynn gives him a half smile before me father continues.

"Thank you. Now, before you worry yourselves sick," my father says, a slight venom coating his voice. "I'll tell you what it is about." He unfolds a letter on the table.

"New Asia is threatening to attack us again."

Short and late chapter, I know! I only had an hour to write this, though, because I needed to post it because I feel like it has been forever seen I updated. I will update again soon. Because this is so short, I will update this before my other story. Bad editing because of the amount of time I had. :( Again, follow me on Instagram! My username is @Finnchellove.Wattpad. Comments and votes please!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.