Chapter Seven

"Forget this. We don't need a plan to stop a situation. Why can't we just go up and join in?" Astra asks. I shrug and look towards where the group of women are gathered around a table listening to what Mrs. Stephens is saying.

"You're right. Forget the whole big fancy plan. I'm just going over there," I say. They all give me a thumbs up and mumble something about good luck. I walk over to the table and one of the women who have their backs to me is speaking.

"Well, it's no wonder the king never intended for Queen America to marry his son. She brought those terri-" she is saying. Mrs. Stephens sees me approaching and quickly motions for her to stop.

"Princess Celia, it's wonderful to see you!" she exclaims. I smile and nod at her in reply. I walk around to where there is an empty seat. All of the Italian women smile at me warmly although I can disgust hiding behind their eyes. They all must be thinking the same thing. 'This country. They have messed themselves up. Why have a queen that has made such a mess?'

"Is it okay that I sit here for a while? I'm afraid I haven't gotten a chance to socialize with you all yet," I say. They all nod. Two of the women give each other uncomfortable looks.

"Of course, Princess Celia. We've been hoping to talk to you as well," one of the women says. She has dark hair that is pulled up in a knot on the top of her head. Her dark eyes match her olive tones skin perfectly. I hear someone make a snorting noise. I don't turn to look but everyone else's eyes turn towards the direction of Mrs. Stephens. Conversation about little nothings begin and I sit quietly while staring at my mother-in-law, wondering would could possibly be circulating through her mind.

§§§

I walk down the first floor hallway to where most of the conference rooms are located. There are about five of them causing it to be easy for me to locate the one where my husband and father are meeting with the Italian king and Princeton, Natalia's future husband. It's pretty easy to figure out which one they're in. All the others have open doors or no light navigating it's way under the crack. The door I stop at has some murmurs coming from it with a few rounds of chuckles.

I knock loudly on the door. All of the voices and chuckles from inside the room stop. I hear footsteps approaching the door. Their loud, echoing throughout the room. As expected, a guard, who is tall with dark hair and tan skin, opens the door. He blocks most of my view of the room but I can still see what is behind him. All four men are sitting around. My father and the king of Italy have short glasses with a dark liquid inside them. The two young men are sitting there as well with soda cans, something I hardly ever have gotten to taste.

As I examine the scene behind the guard, I take in Princeton's features. He has olive toned skin, something exotic here but ordinary in Italy. He has dark eyes. From here, they almost appear black even though they are a dark shade of brown. His black hair is cut short. His arms seem larger than the usual size arm, suggesting he has muscles hidden under the dark blazer he has on over a light blue dress shirt. I can see how Natalia is convinced to marry him. He is simply stunning.

"Princess Celia, How can I help you?" the guard asks after bowing slightly. I hear shuffling behind him. When I toss my gaze away from him, slightly to the guard's right, I see that my husband is sitting up a little taller with a worried look on his face. His features are stony, something I have rarely seen on his face.

"Um, I was wondering if it was possible if I could pull Flynn out of the meeting. I need to talk to him," I say. He nods and turns around. All four men sitting at the large table are staring at the door.

"Prince Flynn, Prince Celia would like to talk to you," he says. Flynn glance at my father as if asking for approval. My father seems to understand the gesture and nods towards me. Flynn stands up and walks toward the door. Right before he steps out, he turns around.

"I will be right back. I assume Princess Celia won't mind if I hurry back," he says. He walks out and the guard closes the door behind him. He stares at me in a questioning way. I walk over to a bench with blue fabric over the seat. We both sit down and he continues to stare at me.

"Celia, what's wrong?" he finally asks after I say nothing. My eyes widen and my fists ball up. If I were sane this wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately, very few people on God's beautiful creation are.

"What's wrong? Really? You bailed on my reception. You know how hard I worked on it and you didn't even come for five minutes! You certainly could have taken a break from your meeting to come see what your mother happened to attempt to wreck," I say. I stand up and walk down the hall towards a window. I look out at the gardens. It seems so beautiful and peaceful out there--nothing like what is going on inside my brain.

"Celia, I'm sorry. It totally slipped my mind," he says. I sigh and stare at the ceiling of the hallway, trying to keep my cool as I count to ten in my head. One. Two. Three. His hands wrap around me, turning me away from the window to face him. Eight. Nine. Ten.

"Flynn, how could something that was so important to me slip your mind? I was a train wreck last week trying to plan it. Not only that, we had visitors that I had never met before. Plus, your family was there. How could you forget everything that was going on?" I ask. His hands move to my shoulders and squeeze.

"Calm down. You are getting worked up over practically nothing," he says. I try to shrug his arms off my shoulders but his grip on them becomes tighter. I consider stepping on his foot but that would do nothing in this situation.

"Worked up over practically nothing? Did you forget a couple days ago when you were so distraught over a silly little business report? Who had to cover for you when you blew up in the gardens? And who was there to calm you down that night when you went crazy and tried to break a lamp?" I ask. He removes his hands and runs one of them through his dark hair. He stares at me for a few seconds like he is seriously debating what he is about to say.

"Because that actually matters, Celia," he mumbles. My eyes swell up and stare at him. I squeeze my hands together into fists but I keep them remaining at my side. I step toward him.

"Excuse me?" I ask. He backs away from me and places both hands behind his head. He turns away and walks a few paces away. Then, he turns around and looks at me again. He throws his hands to the side in a dramatic way.

"I said at least it actually matters, Celia! My report actually matters! Some reception for a bunch of snotty, rich Italians doesn't really effect anyone else! So get over it!" he yells. I walk towards him again, pointing an accusing finger at him.

"Excuse me? Some papers with graphs about rebel attacks that was actually inaccurate really matters that much? I was trying to become friends with the Italians, something my family has been able to do for years! And something your mother was trying to wreck today!" I say. He crosses his arms over his chest and walks towards me.

"Celia, don't get my mother into this! She couldn't have been that much of a disaster! One little conversation can't wreck what your family has had for years can it?" he asks. I stab my finger into his chest. His eyes bore down into mine. I stare at them with my goals in mind.

"Don't get my family into this either," I spit. He backs away from me and towards the door. He stops and studies me again.

"Celia, we can finish this later," he says before walking back into the conference room. I scream and walk down the hallway with my hands behind my head. So much is running through my mind. How did it escalate so quickly? Why did he get so offensive over something so simple? \

Is this really what I want?

And... Ba-Bam! An update! So, it was kind of hard to write this. I really so think things might have escalated too fast but oh well... It made it more dramatic and reminds me of a certain couple... Another thing, I think I made the Mrs. Stephens solution too simple but I might be able to do something with that... Editing isn't that great because I wanted to update quicker, just to let you all know... So, tell me what you think! I LOVE to read your comments. Getting everyone's results on the quiz was awesome! So, more comments and votes maybe?

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.