The Stone

Harry's POV

I didn't want to leave Ron behind after getting hurt playing Wizard's chess but I knew Hermione would take care of him, he'd be alright. I had to stop Snape from getting the stone or else it would all be for nothing. More importantly, Rachel had disappeared, Hermione said she must've sensed danger and went to go get help but I don't know, I have a feeling something bad has happened. I quietly crept down a long set of stairs, all of the torches on the walls had been lit already, someone else had been here first, I just knew it was Snape.

When I made it to the bottom I found a room with pillars along the sides that was all lit up by torches and sconces. There was someone standing at the bottom of a few stairs, directly in front of a mirror. 'Wait I know that mirror, it's the one dumbledore showed me, it shows you what you want most' I looked back at the figure in front of the mirror. A turban. It was Professor Quirrell. I hissed in pain when my scar started hurting. I massaged at the pain on my forehead while I glared at Quirrell's back. "You?" I accused. Quirrell turned around to face me. "No. It can't be...Snape. He was the one-" I stopped mid-sentence when something at the bottom of the stairs caught my eye. Quirrell took my silence as an opportunity to speak.

"-Yes. He does seem the type, doesn't he? Next to me, who would suspect, p-p-poor s-stuttering Professor Quirrell?" Quirrell said menacingly. His voice had changed from the once nervous stutter to a steady tone. "RACHEL!" I shouted, recognizing her motionless body face down at the bottom of the stairs. I made it to her body in less than a second. I shook her shoulder gently to wake her up. When she didn't respond I shook harder, calling out her name. Turning her over to inspect her face. She was still. Too still and cold, almost icy. Her skin was pale. She was always pale but at least when she was awake you knew she was alive, but now...

I looked back up at Quirrell, anger in my eyes. He simply sneered down at me. "Save your breath, Potter, she's dead" My grip on Rachel's jumper got tighter. "NO! She's...she can't be" I shuddered. Pressing my fingers to her neck to find a pulse, I didn't find one. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I wiped at the tears threatening to fall. My teeth clenched. "Why'd he kill her? It's not fair!' I thought. It just didn't make sense, it was supposed to be Snape. "B-but, that day, during the Quidditch Match, Snape tried to kill me" I reasoned. Quirrell shook his head, pointing a finger back at himself.

"No, dear boy. I tried to kill you! And trust me, if my cloak hadn't caught fire and broken my eye contact, I would have succeeded. Even with Snape muttering his little counter-curse" My eyes got wide, there was no way! "Snape was trying to...save me?" I realized in shock. "I knew you were a danger right from the off. Especially after Halloween. Your foolish friend too but as you can see, even she, as brave as she was, couldn't stop me" Quirrell boasted. "Then you let the troll in" I concluded.

"Very good Potter, yes. Snape, unfortunately, wasn't fooled. While everyone else was running to the dungeon, he went to the 3rd floor to head me off. He, of course, never trusted me again. He rarely left me alone" Professor Quirrell explained, turning back to the mirror. As soon as he did that My scar began to hurt again, bringing even more pain than before. "But he doesn't understand. I'm never alone. Never. Now...what does this mirror do? I see what I desire. I see myself holding the stone. But how do I get it?" He rambled. I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying, I was still holding onto Rachel's body. I just hoped, maybe she'd wake up. A feeling in my gut told me, there was no way that she was dead, just sleeping. 'Yeah that's it she's asleep' I told myself. I was hardly convinced"Use the boy~" A raspy voice whispered.

*Time skip*

Rachel's POV

*Whispers* "Kill them~" Flashes of bright red blood painted my vision, it coated the stone walls, the floor, it dripped from the windowsills."Want it all~" Flashes of images came to me of my hands and feet. Blood, more blood. Flashes of images of blood seeping in pools around my bare feet, covering my arms and hands, seeping through my fingers."*chuckles madly* Burn them~*" Flashes of flames burning uncontrollably, a house, no many houses. Screams, many screams. Looking at my hands again, no blood on them. This time...flames.