The things you learn

Third person POV

The three Gryffindor's walked briskly through the corridors of the castle. The three students heavily suspected snape as the person attempting to steal the Philosophers stone. The three all had their concerns at this moment in time, Harry's concerns varying from Snape trying to steal the stone to Rachel's periodic disappearing. Hermione's were somewhat similar, she wanted to stop the stone from being taken just as much as she wanted answers to Rachel's odd behaviour lately. Only one person dared voice it. "Hermione, tell me again why we aren't telling Rachel, it's like you said, she was there when Snape jinxed my broom, she should be a part of this" Harry voiced. It was no secret that the black-haired boy longed to have the raven-haired girl around but his friends didn't trouble him about it, they as well enjoyed the girl's company. Ron rolled his eyes as if it were obvious. "It's because she's a Slytherin mate, one wrong word around her and she could tell Snape" The red-head reasoned. As much as Hermione wanted to protest she found she couldn't, he was right. The girl doubted their friend Rachel would ever do such a thing but given her recent mood she couldn't be so sure. "I don't want to say it but Ronald might be right, Harry, Rachel's been distant lately" Hermione explained. "But I thought you said she helped distract Professor Snape" Harry was having a hard time understanding why his friends were so against telling Rachel, she helped them after all, didn't she? "She did...by setting another Professor's cloak on fire" Hermione informed him with a swift raise of her eyebrow.

Harry couldn't put two and two together, what was Hermione trying to tell him? "What are you saying?" "What she's saying is, Rachel didn't want to set Snape's cloak on fire. I don't think she believes he's trying to steal the stone" Ron proclaimed. Harry shook his head in an attempt to get rid of the negativity he was hearing from his friends. "You guys have to give Rachel a little bit more credit, she's been nothing but nice to us, she's the only Slytherin who has. We can't just go treating her like all the other Slytherins because she's NOT like them!" Hermione and Ron gave each other cautious looks before returning their gaze to Harry. "Alright, Harry, we'll give Rachel the benefit of the doubt" Hermione said softly as she placed a hand on his shoulder. The three of them were so engrossed in their thoughts they didn't notice Hagrid approaching. They soon joined the Half-giant on a walk and began disclosing their thoughts on the recent events. "Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?" Hagrid asked more like stated. "Who knows, why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Harry said nonchalantly. "Who told you 'bout fluffy?" The half giant questioned sternly. "Fluffy?" Ron inquired curiously. "That thing has a name?" Hermione gaped. "Well, of course, he's got a name. He's mine. I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the......" Hagrid paused as soon as he realized he'd said too much. "Yes?" Harry pressed. "Shouldn'ta said that. Don't ask any more questions. That's top secret, that is" Hagrid informed the trio.

"But Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it!" Harry exclaimed, desperately trying to get his point across. "Codswallop. Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher" Hagrid dismissed defensively. "Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a curse when I see one. I've read all about them. You have to keep eye contact. And Snape wasn't blinking, you can even ask Rachel she was there!" Hermione informed matter factly. Hagrid seemed surprised by Hermione's sudden mentioning of the Raven-haired girl. "Rachel...Where is the lass, I haven't seen 'er in a while, she about owes me a visit" The half-giant mumbled to himself, the trio had heard him loud and clear and were now intrigued as to what he meant. "A visit?" Harry pondered. Hagrid's eyes went wide realizing he had been voicing his thoughts out loud. "Er...Nevermind that. Now, you listen to me, all three of you. You're meddlin' in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Professor Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel" The trio looked at each other curiously. "Nicholas Flamel?" Harry inquired, he raised a brow at Hagrid to elaborate. Hagrid paled slightly "I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that. I should not have said that" He continued to murmur the words as he walked away briskly. The trio turned to each other. "Nicholas Flamel....Who's Nicholas Flamel?" Harry questioned to no one in particular. "I don't know" Hermione voiced.