Where loyalties lye

(Rachel's POV)

September had ended far too soon for my liking, I was enjoying my time here at Hogwarts. Thankfully I had another 6 years after this that I'd get to enjoy. It was already Halloween and I hadn't been hanging out with the trio as much as usual and for good reason. After the three headed dog, which I did some research on and found out was called a Cerberus. After that incident I had to hide the injury from everyone, no one could find out about it. It took three days to heal over completely, luckily it hadn't left a scar. The second reason I hadn't been seeing Harry and them as often was because of Draco, he suspected that I had been hanging around with the Gryffindor trio but he'd never confronted me about it, until I entered the common room after returning from the third floor that night. "Rachel! Where have you been? I haven't seen you since lunch, you didn't even show up for dinner" Draco questioned me. He seemed concerned as he'd put down the potions book he was studying from and got up from the plush green chair he had been lounging in. Surprisingly there was no one else in the common room making Draco's confrontation all the more unavoidable. I had to bite my lip lightly in order to stop myself from saying anything before thoroughly thinking it through. 

"I'm sorry, I wasn't hungry. I was in the library all evening studying and brushing up on some general knowledge, I can be quite the brainiac sometimes..." I chuckled nervously at the end. He raised a platinum blonde eyebrow at me. There was silence for a moment. I tried my best to keep my composure all the while wondering if he'd taken the bait. Draco rolled his eyes. "Well, I would've accompanied you in the library if you'd asked. It's not enjoyable studying by myself" I mentally sighed. 'He fell for it' I fake pouted as if ashamed by myself before relying with utmost innocence. "I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd be into all the reading" This time he actually frowned. "Just because I'm not as smart as the mud blood doesn't mean I don't appreciate the use of knowledge. She's not the only one capable of holding an intelligent conversation with you, Rachel" Draco's statement caught me completely off guard, did he just openly reveal that he knew of my association with the trio? 'He didn't fall for it' I sweat dropped. "I don't know what you're talking about, Draco, you're speaking utter nonsense!" I denied him confidently after regaining my composure. He glared slightly, he was loosing his patience I could tell. 

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't play dumb with me, Church! You've been hanging around with Potter, Weasley and that filthy little mud blood Granger!" I flinched at his tone, he'd never spoke to me like that before. I felt a pang in my chest when he called me by my last name. "When did you decide to start calling me by my last name?" I said with a hint of hurt in my tone. "Since I found out that you've been sneaking around with those no good Gryffindor's behind my back" Draco's words were laced with venom, each one made a bad taste appear in my mouth and I lashed out at him. "I'm allowed to hang out with whoever I want!" I scoffed. "Behind your back. Ha! Don't be so arrogant" I wasn't gonna let him tell me who I could and couldn't be friends with. I heard him emit a low growl. "You're a Slytherin, Rachel! You can't be friends with Gryffindor's. You have plenty of friends within Slytherin, are we not good enough for you?" He questioned the last part, his tone held slight sadness. My expression softened. "Th-that's not it!-" I started only to be interrupted by Draco, angry once more. "-What then? Why aren't you satisfied with having me as a friend?" "Why are you so mad!?" I yelled at him. I was sure at this point that the entire dormitory could hear us, yet no one had come to stop our argument.

"I'm mad because...because I care about you!" Draco blushed immediately after realizing what he'd said. Even I was slightly taken aback by his outburst. "Wh-what I meant was, I don't want our house to shun you for being a blood traitor. You can't hang out with them any more, Rachel. Do you understand what I mean?" Draco said after composing himself. I nodded slowly. I did understand what he meant, I really didn't want to be considered a blood traitor. I myself didn't care about blood status but my father was certainly keen on ensuring both Ashley and I were married into primarily wealthy families so that we would be taken care of in our futures, this usually meant marrying into pure-blood families. I didn't want to be labelled a blood traitor because word travels fast, I'd become the enemy of all the other pure bloods meaning it would reflect back on my father badly. I had to keep my families high rank and title in the wizarding community clean and clear. I remained silent. Draco noticed this and held my shoulders firmly. "You have me, Rachel. What more could you possibly ask for?" He questioned jokingly, a smirk evident on his face. I rolled my eyes at his playful gesture. "Oh I don't know, maybe some freedom" I replied nonchalantly. He chuckled in return. "You could ask for it but I don't think it'd make a difference" He replied with the same arrogance as per usual. I huffed. "Can I at least associate with my sister?" I mumbled in defeat. Draco sneered momentarily. "The Hufflepuff?" I gave him a curt nod, he sucked air in through his teeth. "I...suppose she's your sister, who am I to come between blood relatives?" He sighed in defeated. "What's wrong with my sister? You liked her when we net at Diagon alley" "That was before she was sorted into Hufflepuff, It would've been fine if she was a Ravenclaw, I can stand them" He confessed sheepishly. "So that's it! You don't like my sister and it's because she's in Hufflepuff?" Draco panicked. "N-no! I like her, I just can't socialize with her or befriend her" I clicked my tongue in annoyance. "This house is so prejudiced! And so are you Malfoy!" I spat at him in anger. I stormed up to the girls dormitories ignoring Draco's plea's for me to 'wait'