Trap Door

Rachels's POV

It took me a few hours to get myself out of Professor Snape's office, I attempted to convince him I was unsure that I wanted to be in charge of the "Alchemy Club" and that perhaps an older student would be better suited to take the lead but he insisted that excelling in alchemy and potioneering ran in my family and that this opportunity would set me up to become a good potions or alchemy professor in the future. I've never thought that far ahead but I don't think I want to be a professor in the future but I didn't tell him that and instead thanked him for the 'compliment' if you will.

Anyhow once I escaped-I mean, once I was dismissed I made my way to the Great hall where dinner was being served. I sat with Draco, Crabbe and Goyle who engaged in small talk while they ate, I wasn't really paying attention to what they were saying as I absentmindedly nibbled on pieces of meat and a few vegetables. I kept glancing back at the Gryffindor table towards where Harry, Ron and Hermione sat. They exchanged some words as they hurriedly ate. I quietly hummed to myself while munching on a few baby carrots. I'd have to be careful not to draw attention to the Gryffindor trio's escape tonight. I could easily get by the prefects with the 'after hours' hall pass the headmaster approved me for but the latter had to rely on luck to avoid getting caught.

Later that night...

I waited until after midnight to "Arise" from my bed. I was nearly invisible as I slid out of bed, pulling a set of robes out from under my sheets and entering the bathroom. I crept out only to find everyone exactly where they had been a few moments ago. Rolling my eyes at how easy this was, I left my dormitory after passing by a snoring Milicent. I crept through the darkened common room. The portrait of Salazar Slytherin eyed me curiously. I pressed my finger to my lips with a cheeky grin shushing him. He gave me a look as if to say "You're not the first Student to do this much sneaking around at night and you certainly won't be the last" And with that, I slithered past the common room exit into the dark corridors of the Hogwarts dungeons.

Any other 11-year-old would be on edge walking around the dungeons of a mysterious old castle at night but I was not just any 11-year-old and so these things did not concern me. Sometimes my bravery amazed me, it had me wonder what trait I possessed that seemed to overpower the Gryffindor ones. 'Ah well, can't be helped' I thought. My shoes made quiet echoes through the halls one after another. I was almost at peace this way but then I remembered the reason for my wandering. I quickly made it to the third floor after being stopped by a Hufflepuff prefect on the 1st floor. The male prefect rose his eyebrows suspiciously when I presented him the hall pass, a.k.a the letter given to me by Professor Dumbledore stating that I was allowed to roam the castle after dark with the exceptions of restricted areas "of course"

"Where'd you get this?" The prefect demanded. "Read the back" I replied simply. He swiftly turned over the letter and began to mumble its inscription,

I hereby allow this student 'Rachel Church' to have free roam of the castle after curfew so long as he or she adheres to the areas only accessible to students under normal circumstances. This document is to be acknowledged by students, prefects and professors alike and confirms that all activity by this student is approved under the headmaster authority. Any inquiries about this document or its legalities are to be made directly to Professor Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall or Professor Snape.

Signed,

Albus P. Dumbledor

Headmaster at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry.

I rose a questioning eyebrow at the Prefect who simply huffed and shoved the letter back in my hand before waving me off. I continued on my way but not before taking a bit of a detour to ensure I was not being followed. "Too easy" I grinned widely.