CHAPTER 31 - 32

Chapter 31 – A red camellia tree and a wicked beast (3)

TL: Zimming

Editor: bodyinthefreezer

Richard begged everyone to save his mother's life, but no one listened to the little boy. His mother was killed and buried soon after.

Richard didn't even get to see his mother's body. He was confined to a shabby warehouse in a remote mountain, and only after it was confirmed that he had not contracted "Tancinol" was he allowed to return home.

No one welcomed Richard when he came back after half a year.

Richard went to the library, ignoring the people's gossip and stares.

He read books about 'Tancinol'.

The Roums were the first to catch 'Tancinol'. The disease was characterized by a high rate of infection and death. Black spots would appear on the victim's entire body and they'd have bloodshot eyes.

It was also called the second curse of the Goddess because it looked similar to Blake's curse. Like the Heir to the Curse in the Imperial family, the Goddess of Light lowered the status of the Roums to punish them and cursed them with this sickness

Richard found out why his mother couldn't show that she was sick and why she stopped him when he offered to call a doctor for her. If someone heard that a Roum person was sick, they'd kill them instantly even with the slightest suspicion that they had 'Tancinol'. That was why she had to endure it.

The little Richard gritted his teeth.

He believed that his mother had died because of him. But instead of grieving, Richard vowed to take revenge.

Richard devoured all the books about 'Tancinol' in the library, and became convinced of one fact. His mother was not sick because of 'Tancinol'. His mother's symptoms were completely different from the symptoms of Tancinol.

She didn't have any black spots, there was no change in appearance, and no vomiting of blood either. But the Duke of Cassil killed his mother without even confirming that.

The Duke of Cassil did not tell him where he buried his mother. Richard didn't ask him again either. He bribed and threatened the servants to find the place himself. His mother was buried on a desolate field. Richard planted his mother's favorite red camellia flowers instead of a tombstone at her burial spot.

He promised to avenge his mom, to take everything from the Cassils and kill them.

The Duke of Cassil was after the throne.

Richard smiled inwardly, pretending to follow the Duke's will.

'The throne will be my possession. I will sit on the highest position in the Empire, and all the enemies who despised me will be on their knees under my feet.'

From then on Richard became completely different. The innocent boy, who only wished to get rid of his mother's slave status, became a man with great ambitions and was stained with obsession.

***

I looked at Richard as he stood there. The author said that every time he visited his mother's grave, he'd pledge to take revenge against the Duke.

Was he still like that?

I didn't know Richard's thoughts, but I didn't feel any seething hatred or ambition from him when I saw him. He was just a lonely boy. Even the wound on his neck was because he tried to save his mother from being dragged out.