Part 1

"What the fuck did you do to your hair?"

Raelynn pressed a hand to her chest. "You scared me."

"I asked you a question."

Maksim dropped his work bag and kicked his boots off. He stomped to the couch and gripped a fistful of her blonde hair. "Rae..." he warned.

The six-foot something, tattooed, broad-shouldered Russian glared down at her, his accent getting thicker by the second. Any normal person would pray for mercy by then, but Raelynn knew better.

She turned her her head, embracing the sting of her scalp, and kissed his wrist. Maksim never hurt her, except when he was clapping her cheeks and giving her a very welcomed burn.

"I bleached it."

"I do not like it."

"Why not?"

"I like your natural hair."

"But I wanted to do something exciting for you." She touched her hair. It was naturally an auborn color that framed her tanned, Native American features.

"No."

And that was the end of it. Raelynn knew better than to fight him. Maksim didn't have the best debating skills. He would shove her against a wall, push her panties aside, and own her pussy until she forgot what she was arguing in the first place.

He released her hair and sat on the couch. It groaned from his weight, reminding him he needed to replace it. A lot in their apartment needed replacement, actually. They needed a new TV, and a new bedframe.

"The roof is leaking again?" he observed.

His thighs tensed, and she knew that he was about to get up and slaughter either the neighbors or their landlord.

Thinking quickly, she slid onto his lap.

"Hi," she grinned.

Maksim shook his head. "I need to get a new damn TV."

She rolled her eyes. Maksim spent half the day being angry about their living conditions. He wanted to provide more for her, but money was tight and they couldn't afford luxuries. They had been together for a year, but Raelynn was hardly bothered by their surroundings. She was too busy being distracted by Maksim's coffee brown eyes.

"Why do we need a TV when I talk a mile a minute?"

It was true. Maksim wasn't much of a talker. Raelynn didn't mind, though. She was born with a case of mouth vomit. Maybe that's why she and Maksim were such a good couple. He always welcome her on his lap and listened to her nonsense.

"What's this?"

She played with the bracelet on his thick wrist.

Maksim dug into his pocket and took out a matching bracelet. "Here. That piece of shit movie you made me watch was useful for something."

She beamed at him. Although he was rough around the edges, he was a great listener, and he took care of her.

A few nights ago, they watched a romantic comedy that had her laughing and crying from one minute to the next. Maksim, true to his nature, watched with a blank face. He must have noticed the scene where the couple got matching bracelets.

Her Russian was stern, but he was also quite the romantic.

"Thank you. This was really thoughtful of you."

"I can't take you out, but I can give you children's jewelry."

She gripped his face. "How many times do I have to say that I don't care about the stupid apartment, or that we're both broke? You make me happy. I'm not leaving."