39

They landed in New York at noon. Maksim dropped her off at the apartment and left for work. She was left to sort through a new set of dresses and chose a white dress. It showed less chest, but clung to her a little tighter.

It was nice, but matching it with shoes and purses all day just wasn't her thing. She chose the recommended pairs and then went through her closet in search of the baby clothes. She and Maksim never discussed the nursery, so she neatly kept everything on her side of the closet.

There were many things they had to talk about.

She came across a small drawer full of men's jewelry. The diamonds stunned her. She could easily steal them and live a good life, but that wasn't an option. Not when she promised Maksim.

Daniel sent her a hello text, so she flopped on the bed and caught up with him.

What are you up to today?

Going to some club.

You'll look like you ate the disco ball.

I'm really tired of your shitty jokes. Want to see my dress?

Sure.

She send him a selfie, and the reply made her face become as white as the dress.

You look hot! Will Mak let you out wearing that?

Mak? How did he know about Maksim? She never went into detail about him.

How do you know about Maksim?

Daniel didn't reply, and she only got more creeped out. Why was he suddenly so shady?

Was Maksim right? Could she no longer trust anyone?

The maid showed up to cook, but she left quickly. When Maksim entered, Raelynn realized she got so lost in her thoughts that she never changed out of her dress.

"Are you alright?" Maksim said, noticing her silence.

"Yes. I'm–"

He kissed her cheek.

"I'm fine."

"You look pretty."

She smiled. "Thanks."

He went to shower and change, and she stared at the black screen of her cellphone. How would Maksim react when he found out about Daniel?

"Did you eat?"

"Yes. How about you?"

"I had something at work. Ready to go?"

She picked up her jacket and followed him outside. This time, there were no surprise escapes to Arizona. They drove downtown to face business.

"Are the men angry that you canceled on them yesterday?"

Maksim looked up from his phone. "No. Rescheduling happens all the time. Any little thing will make us pull back, especially when we feel like the feds are eyeing us."

The club was literally underground. They went into a building garage and circled down. Raelynn quickly realized this was far from a nightclub. There was no sexy music, no flashing lights. It was classy and exclusive.

Maksim turned a few corners, and she stared at every statue and chandeliers they crossed. The wallpaper and flooring made his penthouse look boring. She wondered why Maksim didn't bother to do much decorating to his penthouse. There was no question that he could afford it.

He led her into a room full of laugher, and six sets of eyes moved to her. There were three men– two older, one middle-aged. Maksim was the youngest among them. The women ranged from mid-20s to middle-aged.