28

"Did he mention me? Like, at all?"

Raelynn looked up and realized that Tiffany was still talking about Daniel. She was sitting so close to Raelynn that their thighs were touching.

"Huh? Oh, no. But I'll let you know if he does." Raelynn inched forward to rise from the couch.

"Wait!" Tiffany clutched her arm.

"What's up? I can come back tomorrow. Maksim wants me home."

"Why don't we talk a bit longer? I mean, you're not Maksim's dog."

Raelynn grinned. "Yeah, but I don't want him sending a helicopter after me. The psycho is probably considering it."

"Oh. Tomorrow, then?"

"Sure."

They hugged and separated. When Raelynn turned the corner, she was startled by her two hulking guards.

"You guys scared me," she sighed.

They didn't reply, remaining as stiff as trunks.

"You can talk to me, you know. I won't tell your evil dictator."

They ignored her.

"Alright. I'll leave you alone."

She gripped the railing as she went down the steps. One of the men grabbed her bicep to help her.

"Look at you. I knew you guys weren't pure concrete."

Hulk #1 ignored her as #2 walked ahead to check over the outside and the car.

"We're on the move," one of them communicated.

The ride home was short. A meal waited for her in the kitchen, although the maid was gone. Maksim turned to the door when she walked past it and stored away the gun he was reloading. He was quick, as if he didn't want her exposed to that part of his world.

"Hi," she said.

Maksim skipped over the pleasantries. "Come eat."

"Can you eat with me? This is a lot."

"No."

She grumbled and washed her hands. When she poked around the plate, Maksim asked, "Do we need a repeat of this morning?"

The threat had her stuffing her mouth. Maksim watched until he was satisfied, and then asked if she fell ill throughout the day. After answering him, their conversation died. They didn't talk about their sexual exchange or complicated relationship. It was like the pregnancy was the only topic of interest.

Raelynn showered and went to bed. "I booked my flight to DC," she told him. "Well, someone did it for me."

With his eyes on his laptop, he replied. "Cancel it. You will fly with me."

"Okay." She stared at his fingers as he furiously typed. "Are you busy?"

"Not if you need something."

"I wanted to talk about extending training for employees. I've come across some pretty unprofessional conversations."

He nodded. "I'll plan a meeting for you and my head of HR."

"Uh... that's it?"

He glanced at her. "Yes. Did you want something else?"

"No? Thank you?"

He nodded and closed his computer. "Come."

Her thighs tensed when they recognized the word as a command.