37

He held her hand as they walked into the elevator, and she smoothed her skirt.

"Maksim?"

"Yes?"

"Can I ask how much this dress cost?"

He shrugged. "Whatever it was, I'd pay more to see you naked."

She looked anxiously at the men behind them. They were expressionless statues.

"Don't be vulgar," she whispered.

"Did you wipe down the kitchen countertop?" he whispered back.

Unimpressed, she crossed her arms over her chest.

Maksim pulled her hair, and she hissed. He knew what the gesture did to her. It was more than control and intimacy. It was a reminder that he fell apart without her to cling to.

"I'll behave," he kissed her cheek.

They walked out of the elevator, and the surrounding men multiplied. Raelynn could no longer see what was ahead.

"What casino are we going to?"

"Not a casino anymore. I had to change the location to one of my family's underground clubs. It has impenetrable security." He turned to one of his men. "What is it?"

His English became Russian, and his composure wrinkled.

Raelynn was silently awed when Maksim's tight hold relaxed when she rubbed his chest.

"What's wrong?"

"My mother," he spat. "She was seen nearby."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

Their evening would be haunted by dark memories and angst.

Maksim pulled out his phone and began shooting orders. It was like he was back in the office, sorting through boring mountains of paperwork.

She hated how the playful aura cooled. She wanted more of Maksim's rare smiles.

She scanned the rows of men and located their driver. A plan was stitched together, and she took a step away from Maksim.

He pulled her right back. "Where are you going?"

She raised her clutch silently. "To offer the guys some candy."

Maksim released her, already used to her habit of fattening his guards up. He disapproved of the exchange because he didn't want the guards getting attached, but there was no stopping her.

He eyed her as he continued his call. To hide her face, she gave him his back and walked a few feet to the driver.

"Hi. I need you to stop by the airport. Can you do that?"

"I first need clearance from–"

"It's a surprise. Can you help me out, please? I'll sneak you some caviar next time?"

He looked surprised. Surprises probably weren't common in the mafia world, unless they involved drive-by shootings.

"He'll fire me, or..."

"Maksim?" she scoffed. "No, he won't. The boys and I will take care of that, okay?" she cupped her belly and gave him an encouraging nod.

With a sigh, he relented. "Yes, Mrs. Kuznetsov."

She didn't even bother to correct him. She gave up a long time ago.

"Thanks!"

She returned to Maksim's side and tried to pick out words from his conversation. He played with her hair, and hung up a minute later. "She will be taken care of."