33

"You have known they're twins since the beginning, haven't you?"

Raelynn glanced at the doctor, who picked up on the tension.

"Don't worry about him. Look at me." Maksim lowered himself and caged her between his arms.

She was tired of being in cages, so she stood up.

"Why?" Maksim asked from his crouched position. "Why do the lies not end with you?"

I love him.

The thought crossed her at an odd time. An argument was about to erupt, but the thought whooshed out like volcanic smoke. She should be getting defensive and ready to fight him, but instead she was remembering this.

The simple fact that he didn't stand up was so significant to her. Maksim recognized that he didn't need height to assert dominance. Anyone would expect him to abuse his size and colors, but Maksim unpredictable.

That's what reeled her in. He had always been so complicated with his words, gaze and build, that it was easy for people to stereotype him. Maksim was like a ball of aluminum foil, looking so chaotic with all its creases that no one considered to look at the shadow.

She looked, and she found peace within it.

"Why did you lie again?" Maksim repeated.

She collapsed in her seat. "For survival."

"What?"

She pointed to the staff that was walking out the door. "You have people, and a building, and money, and lawyers. All I have is my word. What was I supposed to do? Just tell you that I'm carrying twins and let you play God and choose if I get to raise my kids or not? You know I wouldn't win that battle. Your lawyers would crush me."

"What the hell do my assets have to do with this?" he shook his head. "I told you I wouldn't separate you from him– from them."

"No. You mumbled it, as if you were unsure. Whenever I tried to follow up, you were stiff. You avoid questions, fly out of the state to do your shady mafia business, and assault old women. It feels like every day the image I had of you is blurring."

"So what was the plan?' he challenged. "Keep one twin hidden so you could steal him?"

"I wasn't sure. I didn't want to separate them, but I didn't want to give up on them either. I don't know."

His stern expression morphed to hurt. An expression he didn't wear often.

He stood up– not to intimidate, but to run away. "I wouldn't separate the babies from their mother, Raelynn. I know my line of work can be... brutal, but I'm not a monster. Not yet, at least."

She wanted to cry, but her eyes were dry and her face ached. "I'm tired. Of all of this."

"You need rest," he said. "Come."

She couldn't move on her own, so she didn't resist when he pulled her back into his arms and helped her to the bathtub. Her scratched hips and abused feet had been treated, so she couldn't wet them.

Maksim balanced her on her thigh– the same way he did when he discovered she was pregnant, and looked after her.

They went to bed on separate ends of the bed. The first thing she did in the morning was call her therapist to get back on track.

Maksim was busy for most of the following days as he cleaned up the aftermath. He made sure she had everything she needed, but they were still disconnected.

A ding made her look at her new phone. Tiffany came to mind, but she shoved her away. She would deal with that witch when the time was right.

DANIEL: