19: Return

Tay took a deep, slow breath, just listening.

The footsteps grew closer, until they stopped on her right. There was a man standing in front of one of the glass windows, peering over the sill and watching the three people inside. He didn't seem to notice her.

She was shocked, just admiring the face Tay had missed so much. Sharp cheekbones, small rounded chin, dark eyes, and his black hair framing his face. Levi.

"L-Levi?" She asked hesitantly, just enough to be heard.

He jumped, whirling to see her sitting beside him wrapped in a thick, holey blanket.

For an eternity, they just stated at each other. Neither moved, nor spoke, just watched in stunned silence.

The silence was loud. His eyes glinted in the moonlight, wide open. His shaped lips were slightly parted, surprise written all across his features. The cut of his jacket highlighted his slim shoulders, just like every other time she'd seen him. He looked the same, but it was like she was seeing him for the first time.

"Is it- are you really here?" Tay was shocked at the fear in her own voice.

"Yes." He breathed.

She stood slowly, letting the blanket fall off her shoulders. He was frozen in place as she took one step, then another, and another. He watched the away of her hips as she moved closer, like a phantom in a dream. Oh, how he hoped he wasn't dreaming.

She stopped just inches away and gently reached up to caress his cheek, making sure he was real.

"You're really here." She whispered, her shining eyes capturing his own. He couldn't look away.

"Yes."

She wrapped her arms around him without warning, sighing softly as small tears escaped from her eyes. He gasped the force of her embrace, freezing for a moment before returning it.

"I'm sorry." He breathed. "I'm sorry." He closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of her hair.

She just shook her head, leaning back to see his normally blank face full of unguarded emotion. The look was so raw it seemed painful, especially on him.

"Why are you-"

"Shut up." He pulled her back against him, her head laying on his shoulder with her arms wrapped around his torso.

"Don't speak. It's my turn." He mumbled into her hair.

She just sighed, leaning farther into him. Levi pulled them down against the wall of the house, so she was sitting on her knees between his legs. He held her tight, trying to find the right words.

"I'm an idiot. A blind fool. I don't know how to deal with this.... this." He took a breath. "So whatever this is, I don't want it to end."

Tay was confused, leaning back to see his beautiful face where she saw her own feelings reflected back at her. They were plain, open, and just as confused as he sounded.

"This," she started, "is a relationship."

He nodded, turning faintly red.

"What kind it is, Levi, is up to you." She said, preparing herself for anything. He'd come a long way, but he still had a ways to go.

"Wha- I- tch. Of course it's romantic. What else would it be?" He grumbled, giving her a flat stare.

Tay laughed, smiling brightly for the first time in weeks. "You've been running in circles this whole time, and now you just say it? Are you sure you're really Levi?" She teased, enjoying the frown that pulled his lips down.