9: The Beginning of Stohess

Tay woke in a carriage. She didn't know why, or where she was going, but she did notice there were other people with her. She was being held by someone as well. She saw Eren, Erwin, and hoped it was Levi she was sleeping on.

"Levi, we have a plan. But you have to put her down." Erwin said, trying to calm the crazy little man across from him.

"What the hell is wrong with you Levi? She's just a girl!" Eren demanded stupidly.

Tay felt the arms around her tighten. Yes, definitely Levi.

She moved a hand up to his face, guiding it down so she could see him. "What's going on?" She asked him, calmly.

"The capital has called us all in and decided we should hand you and Eren over to the Military Police. We have a plan to stop this, but we can't do it without Levi." Erwin explained, pleadingly.

"I am not letting them have you. Or use you as bait." He grumbled in her ear.

Tay smiled. When did this happen? And he didn't even stutter once.

"Can Levi and I talk alone for a moment?" Tay asked, still looking at Levi's blank face.

"I can arrange that. Eren."

"What?"

"Get out, and follow my lead." Erwin looked to Tay. "You'll have until they force us back in here."

The carriage door opened, and Erwin and Eren literally jumped out.

Tay watched it close, hearing enraged shouting from outside. She sat up and looked at Levi. He seemed... Ragged. Like he hasn't had a chance to rest for days.

She sighed and took his hand, massaging them out of the fists he'd clenched them into, then moved up his arm. Levi froze, not knowing what to do but not wanting her to stop.

"Talk to me, Levi." Tay said.

He was silent, watching her work. He had no idea what to say. And he was so nervous. Did she feel the same, after he told her to get lost?

"I can't lose you too." He said, quietly..

Tay stopped her movements, her eyes moving up to his.

"You won't." She replied.

"But what if Erwin's badly drawn plan fails?"

"It won't." She said, reassuring.

"You can't be certain of that."

"I don't have to be." She replied, going back to massaging his arms.

Levi was having a hard time focusing while she did it, but didn't want her to stop. Again with this dilemma!

Levi was confused. How could she so blindly follow Erwin, the man she nicknamed Accident Prone?

Tay moved up his arm and turned him around, starting on his shoulders. The shouting outside was significantly louder.

"Levi, let your emotions go for a moment and think. Even if this plan fails, you could still get me out. I'm sure of it." Tay said.

Levi's head leaned forward and he suppressed a groan. She was really good at this.

"I'm not. That place is a literal fortress." He grumped, somehow still sounding irritated.

"And you're humanity's strongest. They need you either way, so you might as well help with the plan most likely to work."

He winced and closed his eyes, breathing deeply.

"If you die, I will make sure the corruption in the MP's ends."