4: The Reactions

Tay screamed and sat up, clawing at her face. Wiping imaginary blood off her face, remnants from her dreams. She panted, looking around wide-eyed.

I'm safe. It's just a dream. I'm safe, here, with the Scout Regiment.

She heard booted feet pounding up to her door. "Tay? Are you okay?" A deep voice demanded.

"I'm fine." She called, getting up and opening the door to the Captain's half dressed form. She turned bright red when she saw he didn't have a shirt on, and very pointedly looked only at his face.

"It was just a dream, Levi. I'm fine." Tay said, even though fear was still coursing through her. She needed to meditate, or she would be overwhelmed.

"W-would you like to h-have tea with me?" He mumbled, looking so pretty while all flustered.

"That sounds lovely." Tay said, smiling softly.

He turned a little pinker, but turned and walked off, buttoning his shirt on.

She followed him to the kitchen, where he made them both tea, then to the mess hall.

He made to sit on one of the benches, but Tay just took her cup and sat on the floor, leaning against a post. She sat cross-legged, her hand resting in her lap, with the tea in front of her, it's aroma calming her.

She watched Levi look at her strangely before sitting on the other side of the post with his back to her, so he wouldn't have to see her.

She closed her eyes, looking up and breathing deeply. She focused on the sound and movements of her breaths, making them deep and full, using all of her lungs. She imagined herself walking on a tiny thread, balancing perfectly.

The sounds of her mind slowly disappeared, until all that was left was her breaths and the sounds around her. She let each sense flow over her, not knocking her down, but simply moving out of the way.

She breathed.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

She felt her body beginning to fall into a trance-like state, and stopped herself before she reached it. Tay very slowly opened her eyes, letting the moonlight flow into them. She listened to the sounds. She heard birds singing, little creatures crawling around, the creaking of wood and the whistling of wind. Last of all, she heard Levi's even breathing.

She smelled the hot tea in front of her last, then picked it up to take sip. It really was good tea.

"What are you doing?" The Captain rumbled.

She took in one last, long breath before speaking. "I was doing a quick, easy meditation routine that calms me down. Nothing special." Tay said, smiling even though he couldn't see it.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

He tched. "I couldn't sleep."

They were quiet for a long time, sipping on their tea. Eventually Tay grew tired of not seeing his face, so she moved around to look at him. He looked absolutely exhausted, and totally worn out. There were huge, prominent bags under his eyes, and he just exuded tired.