SEVEN 📃

I'm posting two chapters today to appreciate those that have been with me from last year to this year. Thank you!           

                                ~7~

Tomike needed all the help she could get at this point of her life, where she either had to fight for Dimma or not. She begged and bribed Tinuke to go with her to the hospital since her best friend was busy with work.

Teniayo had got to the hospital before her feeling very excited. He sat on the reception blue metal chairs for visitors and patients about to be responded to in the big reception room. The Doctor came out immediately she arrived, so she braced herself for the worst, part of her believed Teniayo while the other part of her was too hard heartened to believe he is the father of her baby, her friend's baby. The Doctor wasn't ready at the moment since he was busy with other doctors on an accident victim's operation.

Tomike sent a prayer for the accident victim and faced her reality. Teni sat one seat away from her on the left side while Tinuke sat on the right side holding a sleeping Dimma. They sat for close to an hour in silence until Dimma woke up and started shouting, now that she was awake she could smell the antiseptic mixed with bleach which she hates and makes her angry.

Tinuke tried her best to calm her down but Dimma wouldn't stop wailing, frustrated she dumped Dimma on Tomike's lap. Tomike sang Dimma's best song and almost immediately she stood crying.

"It always helped." Tomike said to no one in particular smiling, feeling like a super hero mom. Some minutes later when the wailing died down, Dimma started another round of shouting and crying.

"I want home! Home!" Dimma screamed on top of her voice, as the tears increased, Frustrated, Angry and feeling like a loser, Tomike stood up and walked out to the main entrance. She started to sing Dimma's best songs but it wasn't working instead her baby looked at her like some kind of psycho so were the passersby.

"Can I carry her?" Teni walked up to her.

She looked at Dimma and Teni, realizing the little resemblance on their faces making her feel more anger towards him. About to ignore him Dimma's wailing increased the more as though she already knew Teni was her father and wanted to be held by him.

Angrily she dumped Dimma on his chest. At first Teni's face made her laugh as she dumped Dimma on him. He looked lost and unaware of what to do with Dimma. He held her the wrong way, her body awkwardly sitting in his hands. As a five years old Dimma's a little bit smaller than her age but smarter.

Tomike helped him out so Dimma balanced well in his arms her stomach resting on his chest with her head resting on his shoulder. When she moved back Dimma stopped crying and smiled at Teniayo, a smile Tomike has not seen. Tomike didn't bother to think anything about it, she was thankful instead.

                           ~~📃~~

When Tomike dumped Dimma on him, his eyes grew large about to remove from his eye socket. He wasn't expecting her to just give Dimma up without an argument. Dimma's head was resting on his chest, the rest of Dimma's body curled up in his hands while her legs were uncomfortable.

He looked at Tomike who was about to laugh at him but didn't after their eyes met for a second. He wished she had laughed because he had never seen her do so in his front. She helped him to balance Dimma well in his arms, in a more comfortable way. And at that moment it dawned on him that if the result came out as a positive that he was the father, he wasn't ready but the fact that he's a father overshadowed his unreadiness.

He was a father...to a five years old.

Dimma stooped crying, looked at his face and smiled, He smiled back and it felt like they spoke to each other through the smile, the bond he had never felt with anyone before. His daughter had read something both he and Tomike didn't read. The fact that she felt safe in his arms formed a special space in his heart for her.