NINETEEN🥺

~19~
TWO MONTHS LATER

The past two months had been a battle between Teniayo's head and heart. Either the head was countering anything the heart wanted for Teniayo or the Heart was giving the head 'sit down and shut up' reasons for Teniayo to run back home and do the right thing. The battle had been real and it disorganized Teniayo's days. When he wasn't in class, most especially in a quiet place his mind will remind him where he would have been if he were to be in Lagos.

Teniayo stood up from the apartment bed picked his laptop and phone and walked to the patio, sat on the bench. He pondered on things he wasn't sure he should do. He was missing his family, Tomike and Dimma and this time running away isn't solving anything, his concentration was always changing from one thing to another not the exam he came to write.

Tomike had stopped calling the day he traveled and he missed seeing her name pop up on the screen. Instead of trying to call, Teniayo will scroll through pictures of Tomike and Dimma saved on his face to fill the void. Leaving Nigeria helped him to get closer to Seyi, most nights when there was no one and Femi was busy with the new business he had taken over, he was found laughing with Seyi over the phone.

Teniayo went to the call log, searched for Tomikes number, looked at it for a whole minute, pressed it to call and almost immediately, cut the call. He was too scared to talk to Tomike over the phone, scared of her reaction and her judging tone. Teniayo went to his WhatsApp, found Tomike's name and began to type.

I shouldn't be calling, I shouldn't have left without saying a word. I'm sorry... I know saying I am sorry can't bring back the relationship we had built slowly. I was scared of rejection, scared things will never work out between us, scared that what I might feel for you might be a joke.....

Teniayo stopped typing, he had never felt so scared about loving someone before. Loving Tomike didn't seem easy without putting enough effort to make it work out well. He was scared that both of their lifestyles wouldn't match up and will cause them a lot especially with Dimma in between. He had thought running off would be okay but running away had turned out to be the worst mistake of his life.

Teniayo cleared the text he was about to send, left the chat and switched off his phone then opened his laptop to join the online class for the day before preparing for the exam in a month's time. He let out a sigh deep from his soul as he typed his login details and waited for the class to start. As he waited, his phone's ringing tone began to sing out, he felt happy all of a sudden hoping to see Tomike but when he raised his phone had saw the caller his excitement left in thin air.

Mother

"Oluwateniayo Daniel Martins. What is your problem?" Mrs Martins scolded as soon as he took the call and he immediately clicked on why she had called his full name which she does when she's angry.

"Good evening ma." Teniayo said knowing the time in Lagos.

"Don't greet me... it's been two months Teniayo since you left and you didn't think of calling Tomike that you traveled for exams or even checking up on them."

"Mum not now... How are you?"

"Don't you dare change the topic. I brought you up better than this to show respect to anyone. I was at Tomike's place today and she was unhappy when I asked if she's heard from you since you traveled. Kilo ma se e. You're acting pass yourself o. Use your head Teniayo, before you go out tomorrow call her." Mrs Martins took a deep breath as soon as she finished talking.

"Mom..there was no need to. Tomike and I are not more together." Teniayo said before he thought about it. They were never together but it felt like the past month had been a terrible breakup.