Chapter 25

Mary's POV 

His red eyes glowed in the dark alley, and they were fixed on me as he threw the human away by the dumpster. The sinister look in his eyes combatted the friendly smile that showed off his perfectly white teeth.

Pushing himself off of the wall he walked closer and squatted down beside me. His combat boots made deep impressions in the snow, but the metal sticking out of his lips, nose, eyebrows, and ears left a major impression on me.

I was stunned, frozen. I've never seen anyone look like him before.

He wore a pair of black long pants overalls with an ungodly amount of patches sewn everywhere. Up close I could see that his short sleeve shirt underneath had a plethora of tiny holes, it looks more like some kind of black catching net than a shirt. His arms dangled loosely over his knees as he peered down at me, dangerously.

He is a vampire, right? His eyes are red and skin as pale as a ghost, but he doesn't smell like a vampire. He doesn't smell human either. What is he?

Who is he?

"If you're gonna eat him then stop eating the glass. You're just gonna barf it up later."

He seemed annoyed even though he was sort of helping me. He seemed scary and friendly at the same time. Everything about him screamed danger, but is it bad that I was still interested?

"W-Who are you?"

Slightly flicking his tongue, a small metal ball appeared from his mouth and swiped across his lips. He seemed to be thinking hard about something. Maybe he doesn't know who he is? I wonder if he has metal sticking out of everywhere. The thought sent shivers down my spine. He's scary.

His eyes never left mine even though I was trying my hardest to keep my vision in focus. The world was starting to move around on its own and my bloodlust was battling with a sickly feeling beginning to grow, deep in my overly-filled dead stomach.

"He's not going to be happy about this." He said lowly to himself.

What is he talking about? Does he mean Jasper?

Looking down at the unconscious man I held in my hands my heart began to squeeze with regret. Letting go of the human I moved away from his body not wanting to accidentally get tempted all over again.

What have I done?

I drank human blood. It's one of the few rules of living with the Cullens and I broke it. What if they kick me out? It's not just Jasper that won't be happy about this.

The panic and fear in my body was rising, and it was doing the exact opposite of being helpful to my aching tummy.

"I need to go home." I said out into the air. It probably didn't matter to the mystery man, but I needed the universe to help me. Using the brick wall of the nearby building for support, I slowly started to hoist myself up to my feet with shaky legs.

Standing made the nausea and drunkenness far more intense. The world was spinning too fast for me to stay focused enough to ground myself. My senses were going in and out. Sometimes I could see and sometimes it was dark. If he was speaking I couldn't hear him. The pain in my body was too loud, all I could hear was the sound of ringing in my ears.

I don't have control of my abilities or my body anymore.

The brick wall left my side, leaving me to stand on my own. Or rather fall on my own. The soft cold snow caressed and carried my body. Bright flashes of light blinded what little vision I had, urging me to roll over onto my side and shut my eyes tight.