Chapter 27

Jasper's POV

"There's no way she did that." Emmett said, pointing out the obvious.

"He's right. In the state she was in when she came into the hospital, she couldn't possibly stage something like this." Carlisle agreed.

We were back at the house discussing the situation in the living room with Esme and Rosalie. They had stayed home, and needed to be filled in on the situation. When Carlisle, Emmett, and I investigated the alley way the three humans were dead. At first glance it looked like a fight gone wrong, and the humans murdered themselves. Mary's things were stacked neatly by the front door when we came back home. Her bunny, some buttons that had popped off of her dress, and her panties.

Gritting my teeth in annoyance I tried to remain calm and level headed. My mate's panties were handled by far too many people, but it did confirm that there was another person there. Most definitely a vampire. There is no other way to explain the staged murder and the return of Mary's belongings. This person knows where we live, and I'll bet they have been watching us too.

Closing my eyes, I tried to focus on the sound of Mary's laughter from upstairs. The thought of her being awake and laughing with Alice, eased much of the tension in my shoulders.

She's safe..

They're both safe.

Slowly opening my eyes, I tuned back into the conversation that was taking place around me.

"I say good riddance. We should be glad someone got rid of those humans." Rosalie strongly voiced her opinion.

"Do you think it might be one of your friends, Honey?" Esme looked up at Carlisle from his place right beside her chair. He contemplated but shook his head in response.

"They would have made themselves known by now. Plus there was no scent at the location, on Mary, or any of her belongings."

I was about to say something when Edward, Bella, Jacob, and Renesme came through the window. We were all on speaking terms, but I still chose to keep my mouth shut once they arrived. I have no qualms with Renesme or Jacob. Renesme is still a child, and Jacob is not a vampire. Though he does seem to get along with Mary quite well. Renesme's parents on the other hand is a different story. Edward had far too many thoughts about my relationship, and although Bella hasn't said anything bad about us, she hasn't fought against Edward and his outrageous opinions either. Which wouldn't seem like much, but I know for a fact that Bella is quick to voice her discomfort. So her silence on the situation was loud and clear.

"We haven't noticed any blood suckers lurking around. I definitely would have noticed." Jacob chimed in, folding his arms across his chest as he stood beside his mate.

"They most likely have an ability that helps them stay hidden. It's much less likely that they have found a way to mask their scent by some other means. " I spoke up. Everyone fell silent and nodded their heads, contemplating my input.

"I'm going to go check on Mary."

"Alright. Could you three meet me in my office later for more tests?" Carlisle asked.

I nodded to him as I walked away. I didn't want to spend too much time around Edward. I don't want him reading my mind any more than necessary. Taking all of Mary's belongings I discarded her buttons and panties. She didn't need any more reminders of what happened. I can buy her new clothes.

As for the bunny, I decided to go to the bathroom first to clean him up a little before returning him to his rightful owner.

Mary's POV